Quadrajet Problem Solving > Buy Quadrajet Parts, Quadrajet Kits, Service

Benefits of HP over SR rebuild kit

<< < (3/3)

Shark Racer:
Yes, I did a home chromate conversion.

Before:

After:

I got the solution from Caswell Plating. That stuff is pretty nasty, though. I don't think I really want to do it again. There's a lot of chemicals in there that can screw you up pretty bad, and now I have to find a hazmat disposal place to get rid of the used up bucket. :\

Also, I don't know if NZ will allow you to have the chemicals shipped in.

Ethan1:
 I have heard good things about Caswell Plating. But, yeah, the chemicals are pretty dangerous.

Ethan1:

--- Quote from: HeathD on July 14, 2013, 01:54:38 AM ---Is it possible to do the chromate conversion at home?

Not sure I can get a kit or anything like that here in NZ (will keep looking), so is it a necessary part of the rebuild process.

Heath

--- End quote ---

I know you're quite a ways from Cliff's shop here in Ohio, but I HIGHLY recommend sending him the carb to do the plating. Plus, the small parts need to be electroplated. He does an awesome job and has great prices on his services! :)

HeathD:

--- Quote from: Ethan1 on July 14, 2013, 10:23:45 AM --- I know you're quite a ways from Cliff's shop here in Ohio, but I HIGHLY recommend sending him the carb to do the plating. Plus, the small parts need to be electroplated. He does an awesome job and has great prices on his services! :)

--- End quote ---

Yeah I know but the price of posting 3 carbs there and back would be silly money (more than I paid for the carbs and less than I could recover with their sale.   I hate being this far from the rest of the world some days.

What would happen if I don't get them replated?   They are corroded now so I don't know if there is any plating left anyway.

Ethan1:

--- Quote from: HeathD on July 14, 2013, 10:51:42 PM ---Yeah I know but the price of posting 3 carbs there and back would be silly money (more than I paid for the carbs and less than I could recover with their sale.   I hate being this far from the rest of the world some days.

What would happen if I don't get them replated?   They are corroded now so I don't know if there is any plating left anyway.

--- End quote ---

If you don't replate them, it shouldn't be a problem. I've sprayed mine with WD-40 every once in awhile and works like a charm. Baseplate will be fine too. As for the small parts though, they WILL corrode. Plating is usually done for restorations/aesthetics.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version