Author Topic: Benefits of HP over SR rebuild kit  (Read 5981 times)

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
Benefits of HP over SR rebuild kit
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just sorting a few details and figuring out the best way to go forwards.

Is the SR kit for a carb in good overall condition that needs a freshen up or is it suitable for something that has had a hard life? ???

Is there any benefit with spending the extra few $$$ and getting the HP kit for what will be a mild street rod engine? ::)

If I make changes to the setup later on is the HP kit a better long term option or is it irrelevant? :o

Also if I already have the plastic cams and spring (bought just a few weeks ago with a new electric choke and choke pull off) can I substitute these parts for something else of the same value?   Cheeky question I know, but I just noticed the kits have these bits in them. :-[

Maybe the extra few $$$ in different prices might be better spent else where.    If so, what parts do you recommend (spare hangers, jets, etc)?   I live In New Zealand so parts can be  hard to come by (at a reasonable price that is - try $158NZ + S/H for an electric choke locally) and having a few extra bits in my parts tray would be nice for the future.   I guess some standard fixtures (tubes etc) would be good to get a starting point as I am unsure of the current set up or its condition (until I pull it apart that is).

Typical noob questions I know with too much money (not true - I'm married -LOL) and not enough knowledgeable qjet guys in my town to talk to for advice.

Regards

Heath

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Benefits of HP over SR rebuild kit
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
 I would probably go with the SR kit. Cliff will know what kit you should get. 8)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »
The SR kit is a very complete kit.  The HP kit contains idle tubes, power piston spring assortment, idle mixture screws with springs, secondary throttle shaft return spring, and fastener set.  If you don't need those additional items the SR kit would be fine.  Some folks buy the SR kit and add a few items to it as they don't need all the items found in the HP kit.

We also put custom kits together with tuning parts which also saves money.....Cliff

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
Thanks Cliff.

I'll get in contact soon about my needs (kit wise).   I'll email you guys rather than try and ring from NZ with a list of questions, etc  :o.

Cheers,

Heath

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:27:47 AM »
Email is always best, direct email is cliffshp@embarqmail.com  .....Cliff

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
is there much of a difference in the SR kits between the years?

Could I buy a few std kits and use them across several years?   Just in case I open up a carb and find its buggered beyond help id like to use it on another carb not throw it away.

I have carb numbers:

17080512 1153 CRX -probably repair this one - 350
17085292 2504 HMJ - probably wont bother with this one - elec carb off 305.
17057504 1237 AYO - probably repair this one - 350
  7058508 1078 BJY - probably repair this one - 350 (its on it now)
17084596 1215 JRB - probably wont bother - junk and its just a pile of parts at the moment.

Are the kits universal to these or are they all slightly different?

I know I have a heap of questions (sorry - some of them are annoying too - sorry again.)

cheers Heath.

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
I'm such a carb a holic.  :-[ ;D

Grabbed another bargain yesterday for $30.   Came out of a 74 vet.

Decided to refurbish the 15058508, 17057504 and 17059222 and have a think about doing the elec 17085292 (has mixture control solenoid) later.   Will get a couple set up for my engine (one with no mods and one with slight mods - for the future) and sell the other one off.   Will keep the parts carbs (1984,1980) and perhaps sell some of the parts separately.

I figure the 77,78,79 carbs have the most in common (look almost identical apart from one having the "bump" in the primary bore - this will be my modified engine carb) so if I have an issue I might be able to swap a few bits.   Does my logic sound right? :-\ :-\

Found a small bench top media blaster for a good price too so I can clean up the bodies etc.   Any suggestions for media type for cleaning up the bodies and components?

Cheers Heath.

Cliff I'll be emailing you soon for some bits I think... ;)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »
I'm such a carb a holic.  :-[ ;D

Grabbed another bargain yesterday for $30.   Came out of a 74 vet.

Decided to refurbish the 15058508, 17057504 and 17059222 and have a think about doing the elec 17085292 (has mixture control solenoid) later.   Will get a couple set up for my engine (one with no mods and one with slight mods - for the future) and sell the other one off.   Will keep the parts carbs (1984,1980) and perhaps sell some of the parts separately.

I figure the 77,78,79 carbs have the most in common (look almost identical apart from one having the "bump" in the primary bore - this will be my modified engine carb) so if I have an issue I might be able to swap a few bits.   Does my logic sound right? :-\ :-\

Found a small bench top media blaster for a good price too so I can clean up the bodies etc.  Any suggestions for media type for cleaning up the bodies and components?
Cheers Heath.

Cliff I'll be emailing you soon for some bits I think... ;)

I have heard baking soda does a great job. Have yet to try it though.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:43:32 AM »
I have heard baking soda does a great job. Have yet to try it though.

It does, and is probably the mildest media you'll find. Rinse the parts off with warm water when done and the soda will erode away.

HOWEVER - it will take finish off, so you should plan to have a chromate conversion done afterwards.

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:54:38 AM »
Is it possible to do the chromate conversion at home?

Not sure I can get a kit or anything like that here in NZ (will keep looking), so is it a necessary part of the rebuild process.

Heath
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:01:34 AM by HeathD »

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »
Yes, I did a home chromate conversion.

Before:

After:

I got the solution from Caswell Plating. That stuff is pretty nasty, though. I don't think I really want to do it again. There's a lot of chemicals in there that can screw you up pretty bad, and now I have to find a hazmat disposal place to get rid of the used up bucket. :\

Also, I don't know if NZ will allow you to have the chemicals shipped in.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
 I have heard good things about Caswell Plating. But, yeah, the chemicals are pretty dangerous.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
Is it possible to do the chromate conversion at home?

Not sure I can get a kit or anything like that here in NZ (will keep looking), so is it a necessary part of the rebuild process.

Heath

I know you're quite a ways from Cliff's shop here in Ohio, but I HIGHLY recommend sending him the carb to do the plating. Plus, the small parts need to be electroplated. He does an awesome job and has great prices on his services! :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 10:51:42 PM »
I know you're quite a ways from Cliff's shop here in Ohio, but I HIGHLY recommend sending him the carb to do the plating. Plus, the small parts need to be electroplated. He does an awesome job and has great prices on his services! :)

Yeah I know but the price of posting 3 carbs there and back would be silly money (more than I paid for the carbs and less than I could recover with their sale.   I hate being this far from the rest of the world some days.

What would happen if I don't get them replated?   They are corroded now so I don't know if there is any plating left anyway.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »
Yeah I know but the price of posting 3 carbs there and back would be silly money (more than I paid for the carbs and less than I could recover with their sale.   I hate being this far from the rest of the world some days.

What would happen if I don't get them replated?   They are corroded now so I don't know if there is any plating left anyway.

If you don't replate them, it shouldn't be a problem. I've sprayed mine with WD-40 every once in awhile and works like a charm. Baseplate will be fine too. As for the small parts though, they WILL corrode. Plating is usually done for restorations/aesthetics.  :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)