Author Topic: Do these holes get plugged when not using a choke?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline AHotRod

• Garage guy
Do these holes get plugged when not using a choke?
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
Cliff,
In this photo I inserted some tools and 1 screw to show the holes in question.

Do the holes on the side of this carb get plugged off when eliminating the choke?

Also, where I have the screw inserted, is that passage to be plugged or blocked off?

I took this picture to show you the that the carb that I'm modifying came only with 2 rear brass tubes. I had read that most come with 4 or more.

I look forward to your help, as I need to get this unit completed, installed and running before Monday.
Thank you,
Glenn

Offline 1985C10

• Garage guy
Re: Do these holes get plugged when not using a choke?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:03:34 AM »
I'm certainly no expert, but logically speaking, if it would cause a vacuum leak or let dirt into the carb, it needs to be plugged.

As far as the missing POE tubes, if you have the little discharge holes just above the front edge of the air flap you should have the tubes as well.

Also it appears you have painted interior surfaces of the carb which will regularly come in contact with fuel.  I think this will cause problems.

Do you have Cliff's book?  It's definitely worth having.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:08:44 AM by 1985C10 »

Offline 1985C10

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:25:27 AM »
accidental post :-[

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
2 bottom holes on side get plugged, the top one is blind,threaded hole. the hole in the front is for a vacuum source    IF    you have a front mounted choke pullof. IIRC.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:56:29 AM »
Plug all the holes in the side of the carb where noted.  The front hole with the screw in it is a manifold vacuum source, plug it if it's not needed.

I certainly hope after blasting away all the zinc/chromate that you are going to have it refinished.  This new fuel contains ethanol, and it can be very hard on metal parts, including the main casting fuel bowl if not zinc/chromated.

We offer this service 1-2 day turn-around.....Cliff