Author Topic: Looking for help with carb  (Read 3489 times)

Offline GTONOT

Looking for help with carb
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:06:46 AM »
After buying several carbs at swap meets and one on ebay (bad deal), the best carb I found condition wise was one off 1976 chevy truck with a 454 ( I think ? ), the number is 17056212. I have a Pontiac 326, stock except '68 cast iron intake with heat passage blocked, Summit 2800 cam and 2 1/2" exhaust. The carb has 32B rods and #70 jets. Secondary rods are DH with P hanger. I rebuilt another carb (17059253) which did not seem to work out well. It was not in the best condition to start with. I am really not trying to become a quadrajet expert, just trying to get a good running car for cruising. I have read Cliff's book several times and learned a lot but still need advice. Is this a viable choice for this engine? I know the divorced choke might be a issue. Anybody have any thoughts about this? Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Looking for help with carb
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »
Those are nice units.  Not as good as the 17059253, as they lack the same APT system and not possible to mount an electric choke on the the.  It will need some help for what you are doing, pretty lean on the primary side jetting for a large main airbleed carburetor.....Cliff

Offline GTONOT

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply Cliff. I agree the 17059253 is probably a better choice. It never seemed right though. I could not adjust the APT correctly using TIP in procedure in your book, and the idle air mixture screws had no effect. It seemed to lack power too.
What kind of "help" does the 17056212 carb need? What recipe do you recommend for it? I assume #1 or do think something different than that? Should I decrease the size of the main air bleeds. They are .118" as near as I can measure. I know that I will need different rods and jets. I really do not want to start throwing money into it since it needs everything and I am sure that it is worth it. I can live without a choke (I think) since I live in the south. Thanks for any help you or anyone else can give me.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »
The 17059253 is an excellent unit, superior in many respects to the other carb.  If you had no control with the mixture screws, and APT system, something fundamentally wrong with it, or not set up correctly for what you were doing.

For the stock 326 I'd rebuild the 17056212 to stock specs, and see how it works.  It should be pretty close without a lot of addtional tuning.....Cliff