Quadrajet Problem Solving > Buy Parts, Kits, Service

Benefits of HP over SR rebuild kit

<< < (2/3) > >>

HeathD:
is there much of a difference in the SR kits between the years?

Could I buy a few std kits and use them across several years?   Just in case I open up a carb and find its buggered beyond help id like to use it on another carb not throw it away.

I have carb numbers:

17080512 1153 CRX -probably repair this one - 350
17085292 2504 HMJ - probably wont bother with this one - elec carb off 305.
17057504 1237 AYO - probably repair this one - 350
  7058508 1078 BJY - probably repair this one - 350 (its on it now)
17084596 1215 JRB - probably wont bother - junk and its just a pile of parts at the moment.

Are the kits universal to these or are they all slightly different?

I know I have a heap of questions (sorry - some of them are annoying too - sorry again.)

cheers Heath.

HeathD:
I'm such a carb a holic.  :-[ ;D

Grabbed another bargain yesterday for $30.   Came out of a 74 vet.

Decided to refurbish the 15058508, 17057504 and 17059222 and have a think about doing the elec 17085292 (has mixture control solenoid) later.   Will get a couple set up for my engine (one with no mods and one with slight mods - for the future) and sell the other one off.   Will keep the parts carbs (1984,1980) and perhaps sell some of the parts separately.

I figure the 77,78,79 carbs have the most in common (look almost identical apart from one having the "bump" in the primary bore - this will be my modified engine carb) so if I have an issue I might be able to swap a few bits.   Does my logic sound right? :-\ :-\

Found a small bench top media blaster for a good price too so I can clean up the bodies etc.   Any suggestions for media type for cleaning up the bodies and components?

Cheers Heath.

Cliff I'll be emailing you soon for some bits I think... ;)

Ethan1:

--- Quote from: HeathD on July 13, 2013, 09:01:39 PM ---I'm such a carb a holic.  :-[ ;D

Grabbed another bargain yesterday for $30.   Came out of a 74 vet.

Decided to refurbish the 15058508, 17057504 and 17059222 and have a think about doing the elec 17085292 (has mixture control solenoid) later.   Will get a couple set up for my engine (one with no mods and one with slight mods - for the future) and sell the other one off.   Will keep the parts carbs (1984,1980) and perhaps sell some of the parts separately.

I figure the 77,78,79 carbs have the most in common (look almost identical apart from one having the "bump" in the primary bore - this will be my modified engine carb) so if I have an issue I might be able to swap a few bits.   Does my logic sound right? :-\ :-\

Found a small bench top media blaster for a good price too so I can clean up the bodies etc.  Any suggestions for media type for cleaning up the bodies and components?
Cheers Heath.

Cliff I'll be emailing you soon for some bits I think... ;)

--- End quote ---

I have heard baking soda does a great job. Have yet to try it though.

Shark Racer:

--- Quote from: Ethan1 on July 13, 2013, 09:44:36 PM --- I have heard baking soda does a great job. Have yet to try it though.

--- End quote ---

It does, and is probably the mildest media you'll find. Rinse the parts off with warm water when done and the soda will erode away.

HOWEVER - it will take finish off, so you should plan to have a chromate conversion done afterwards.

HeathD:
Is it possible to do the chromate conversion at home?

Not sure I can get a kit or anything like that here in NZ (will keep looking), so is it a necessary part of the rebuild process.

Heath

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version