Author Topic: New member - Will my carb work?  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Icefan71

New member - Will my carb work?
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »
Hi, new member here. I was just given a Carter Quadrajet from a friend. He didn't know where it came from. Just had it sitting in his garage for a few years. From this site I found out its a 1978 Chevy, fed emission, auto trans from the # on the side - 17058204. Under that # is 3197 BHT. I don't know what that means. I also don't know if it will work for my application. I have a 72 Pontiac Lemans with the original Pontiac 350 motor, th350 trans. I learned that the fuel line will have to be modified as well as the throttle linkage. I don't know the cfm rating on the carb. How do I find out? I read Pontiac 350's like a 600 or 650 cfm carb. If this one is more than that, how can I make it work with my motor? I have no experience with carburetors. But I also had no experience in restoring a 40 year old car and so far I pulled the motor, took it apart, regasketed and painted it and got it running. So learning about carbs is next. Thanks.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: New member - Will my carb work?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
Hi, new member here. I was just given a Carter Quadrajet from a friend. He didn't know where it came from. Just had it sitting in his garage for a few years. From this site I found out its a 1978 Chevy, fed emission, auto trans from the # on the side - 17058204. Under that # is 3197 BHT. I don't know what that means. I also don't know if it will work for my application. I have a 72 Pontiac Lemans with the original Pontiac 350 motor, th350 trans. I learned that the fuel line will have to be modified as well as the throttle linkage. I don't know the cfm rating on the carb. How do I find out? I read Pontiac 350's like a 600 or 650 cfm carb. If this one is more than that, how can I make it work with my motor? I have no experience with carburetors. But I also had no experience in restoring a 40 year old car and so far I pulled the motor, took it apart, regasketed and painted it and got it running. So learning about carbs is next. Thanks.

Welcome!

17058204 is from '78 Caballero, El Camino, and Firebird 350cid A/T just to name a few applications.

The 3197 is the date code, which is the 319th day of 1977.

Let see what Cliff says. It could work, but you would have to modify/reroute the fuel line from fuel pump to carb. It is probably 750cfm as well. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Icefan71

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
Thanks, Ethan. I've been trying to learn all I can about carburetors in general let alone Quadrajets.

Offline Icefan71

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:05:28 AM »
Would I be better off trying to trade it for a Pontiac Quadrajet? I never worked on a carburetor before. I have no idea how much work is involved in modifying it for my needs.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »
Would I be better off trying to trade it for a Pontiac Quadrajet? I never worked on a carburetor before. I have no idea how much work is involved in modifying it for my needs.

I would. Any Buick, Olds or Pontiac (BOP) will work. There a dime of dozen and have the correct straight fuel inlet and not 90 degree like Chevrolet had. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:19:16 AM »
The 1980 Chevy carb will be fine if you don't mind the fuel inlet location?  It will accept an electric choke, and easily dialed in for what you are doing.  Should have a hook up the kick-down cable as well.....Cliff