Author Topic: Quadrajets Over Time  (Read 3606 times)

Offline ubushaus

• Garage guy
Quadrajets Over Time
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
OK, here's another newbie question:
As far as maintenance, rebuilding, and performance, are the earlier year Q-Jets ('66-'70) better cores since they were designed prior to tightening emission standards?

Case in point: I have '69 and '72 4MVs. The base plates are not directly interchangeable due to design changes. Which is better to use as a core assuming there are no emissions issues in my state?

Thanks,
Joe M.

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
Re: Quadrajets Over Time
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:44:14 PM »
Personally, I'd want a newer one--'76 and up (at least up to the point where the computer controlled the carb, anyway.)  Of course, choke style, throttle lever, and fuel inlet considerations must be accounted for.

Of those two, I'd still take the newer one--unless there's some reason to think the older one has less damage, or somesuch.

IF (big IF) the choke, throttle lever, vacuum nipples, etc aren't an issue--newer is pretty much always better except for the '75s with the goofy APT
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.