Author Topic: qudrajet M4MC off idle hesitation/stumble  (Read 4107 times)

Offline 84oldsdelta88

qudrajet M4MC off idle hesitation/stumble
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
Hello This is my first post here my name is Joe I own a 1984 Oldsmobile delta 88 with  a 70 olds 350/th350.

Just recently I had gotten rid of the computer controlled carb and dist. and installed a vac advance HEI dist. from a 77 olds 350, and a quadrajet M4MC carb that came off a 1978 olds 403 with 73 jets 55p rods and cv secondary rods with a H hanger. I rebuilt the carb. installed it and everything was running great (except for a small hesitation when cold) for about a week.

And then out of no where it started with a hesitation/stumble from a dead stop light acceleration with a warmed up engine. I determined it was running too lean by choking the engine rpm increased. I tried to adjust the idle mixture screws richer. but they were unresponsive.

Went to the junkyard the other day picked up another quadrajet off a 77-79 olds delta 88 350. was in really bad shape (lots of white/yellow crusty crap in bowl.) Cleaned, rebuilt it and installed it. At first it had a problem where as soon you start it 2-4 seconds later it would die when the choke opened an 1/8 inch. Would only run if you kept pumping the gas or choked the engine. Fixed that problem by blowing every passageway with carb cleaner reinstalled it runs and drives, but i got my off idle stumble still i'm running out of ideas on what to do next.

I heard this forum has lots of knowledgeable people and the place to go with my questions.

Sorry for the extremely long post but i figured you guys should know as much details as possible. Thanks in advance for the help

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: qudrajet M4MC off idle hesitation/stumble
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:02:29 AM »
Go back to the first Q-jet if it's in better shape.

Get a set of our custom full tapered primary rods for it.

I would also recommend one of our kits to get it up to par for modern fuel.

Install a set screw in the airhorn over the APT screw.

This will allow fine tuning the part throttle A/F without taking the carb apart. 

In a few quick test drives you can dial in the part throttle A/F exacty for the application.....Cliff