Author Topic: Need help with the jets and metering rods for a 305 chevy  (Read 14381 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Need help with the jets and metering rods for a 305 chevy
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 06:51:57 AM »
Correct, it should be fully applied within a second or so.  If not, it may be plugged up, or leak in the diaphram.  I would replace it if it still applies slowly after putting a new rubber hose on it....Cliff

Offline jamon8

• Garage guy
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
I put on a new choke pull off and it is starting like a new car. I also had the electric choke set way too tight. thanks for all the help

I have one more issue that needs attention before I can call it done. if I start it up and drive it right away without it bieng warmed up all the way it pops through the carb. after it has warmed up it does not have a problem. backfiring through the carb is usually a sign of retarted timing but I have the timing as far advanced as you can get it without spark knocking. also if you goose the throttle when its cold it will back fire through the carb

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 05:47:35 AM »
If the timing is adjusted correctly then it's too lean, and/or the intake is too cold.  This also assumes no other issues like bad plug wires, spark plugs, low on compression, broken/weak valve springs, etc......Cliff

Offline jamon8

• Garage guy
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
well I did a compression check and the motor is ok, all the plugs look like they are firing so its not the plugs or the wires. just for fun I advanced the timing and it seemed to run better and did not spark knock. I think that the timing chain is stretched out. I will never use summit brand parts ever again. I had a problem with thier intake manifold and now the timing chain has stretched dramatically. I will try it again in the morning when it is nice and cold

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 04:16:41 AM »
Did you install a "roller" type timing set?

I use and prefer the stock link-plate sets.  For small block Chevy engines we use the 3/4" wide set, still available at most auto parts stores......Cliff

Offline jamon8

• Garage guy
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 06:40:55 AM »
yes it was a roller. I am also putting a curve kit in the dissy so that it advances earlier