Author Topic: New to site, help me ID my carb!  (Read 3719 times)

Offline streetjeep

• Garage guy
New to site, help me ID my carb!
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »
Glad I found this place!
Anyway, I have a 327 that sat in a barn for about 20 years and block ID says its a 250hp 68 large journal. I disassembled and it is a larg journal. Only number I find on quadrajet 4bbl is in a circle on the body at the back below the left secondary, and is 7035530.  Is that the id number for the carb, or for the body only? If its the ID number, based on what I have read on this site, it belonged to a later cadillac and is an california carb.  HELP!!!!!

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: New to site, help me ID my carb!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:48:33 AM »
Glad I found this place!
Anyway, I have a 327 that sat in a barn for about 20 years and block ID says its a 250hp 68 large journal. I disassembled and it is a larg journal. Only number I find on quadrajet 4bbl is in a circle on the body at the back below the left secondary, and is 7035530.  Is that the id number for the carb, or for the body only? If its the ID number, based on what I have read on this site, it belonged to a later cadillac and is an california carb.  HELP!!!!!

I don't think that is the stamped part number. That is probably just cast body number. The id number should be on the driver's side. Post a pic if you can.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline streetjeep

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
Carb is really dirty so I will get it cleaned and look. It does not have the large round tag on the drivers side next to the Quadrajet name as in the picture of Cliffs that I found.  I do find some numbers stamped, not cast, on the base on the drivers side. Don't remember them, but there were only 4 numbers.

Offline streetjeep

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:38:57 AM »
Found my number. :-)  It is 7028212.  Its "Federal" "1968" "chev" "auto".  It has a "DH" behind it for a plant code.  Detroit????

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
Found my number. :-)  It is 7028212.  Its "Federal" "1968" "chev" "auto".  It has a "DH" behind it for a plant code.  Detroit????

Yep, '68 Chevrolet 327cid/350cid A/T. DH is not Detroit though. I believe DH would have been found on the broadcast sheet that originally came with the car, to identify that is the carb it came on.

Primary Jets .071, 46 Primary Metering Rods, Secondary Hanger K, Secondary Metering Rods AN.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline streetjeep

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:29:58 AM »
Yep, '68 Chevrolet 327cid/350cid A/T. DH is not Detroit though. I believe DH would have been found on the broadcast sheet that originally came with the car, to identify that is the carb it came on.

Primary Jets .071, 46 Primary Metering Rods, Secondary Hanger K, Secondary Metering Rods AN.

Hey, Ethan.  I will be adding a Weiand street manifold, headers, and a PureEnergy CompCam and maybe World Torquer heads which will bring it to at least 300 hp.  Think this carb as it is (rebuilt of course) will work fine for a daily driver?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »
Hey, Ethan.  I will be adding a Weiand street manifold, headers, and a PureEnergy CompCam and maybe World Torquer heads which will bring it to at least 300 hp.  Think this carb as it is (rebuilt of course) will work fine for a daily driver?

Yes, I think it would, but Cliff would be the best to ask. May try giving him a call or when he see's this post. He may have questions like engine setup, cam specs, etc. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)