Author Topic: Mix and Match Quadrajets ?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
Mix and Match Quadrajets ?
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
I have a 69FB OHC Sprint with the OE Quad Carb on it.  I am planning to work on the carb but I would like to have a "spare" carb to at least be able to drive the car.

I have been looking for a Holley 4360 but they are few and far between AND when I figure the costs it is getting as high as just buying another Rochester.  Plus I would like to get some experience on the spare carb before I try to rebuild the OE carb.

How would I go about finding a Quadrajet that may work on this motor without being the correct numbers carb?

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: Mix and Match Quadrajets ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
  what I would do would be to build the "spare" carb first. That way you get the experience of building a carb (to the specs that will work on the ohv pontiac). AND then  you will have a good running carb to use while you build the original. You could actually use a dual jet even. maybe with an adapter if needed. ( a little less complicated to build). just need to match the jets/rods etc to match it up with the original.

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:03:16 PM »
That's the plan.  I won't be able to go with anything but a Quad since the motor is so tall there is no room for adapters.

What I need is a carb that will work but not be the numbers matching carb.  OHC 4bbl crabs are $500 plus  :o which is way too rich for a spare.

Offline hotstuff

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:29:05 AM »
this is a good site to look for a carb.What No# is the OE carb you have now ?

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
    Places to find a QJ: the best would be a swap meet. I find them anywhere from 15 to 30 dollars. (although its not the best time of year for swap meets. Usually those start in the spring). Internet could also be a source, like this site hear or even craigs list. Next in line would be the junk-yard (politically correct term would be automotive recycling yard). AND, you can find QJ's in other vehicle's other than GM one's. (like mopars in the mid eighties also used QJ's).
Where are you located? maybe someone on here would be nearby that could sell you one. I think am early 70's chevy type would work ok on the 6 cylinder.

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »
I ended up getting a message from a guy at another forum that had a OHC Quadrajet.  Although it was an automatic I took a chance and bought it.  I has turned out to be a decent looking carb and the parts move freely.  It needs cleaning and then rebuilt.