Author Topic: switch base from q/jet to q/jet ?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline bober

• Carb lover
switch base from q/jet to q/jet ?
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
I'm sure this is on here somewhere ; Can I swap the base of one carb to another ? I'm starting a rebuild on a17080272 q/jet and if I need a new or diff base is there a chance that I'd be able to swap w/anothe q/jet ? I've got access to others for parts or whatever ? Thanks !!

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: switch base from q/jet to q/jet ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
I'm sure this is on here somewhere ; Can I swap the base of one carb to another ? I'm starting a rebuild on a17080272 q/jet and if I need a new or diff base is there a chance that I'd be able to swap w/anothe q/jet ? I've got access to others for parts or whatever ? Thanks !!

There were a lot of emission parts on the later Qjets, but don't know if that would have any effect. Try looking for a Qjet around the same year. Notice there might be slight differences in the linkage.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:07 AM »
Many will fit, but there are quite a few different things going on with them, including vacuum ports, bypass air, idle fuel discharge holes, etc.  Best to match them  up exactly, or use one from the same carburetor number.....Cliff

Offline bober

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 05:23:54 AM »
Thanks , the closest I got so far was 1705xxxx Chev. and my q/jet starts w/1708xxxx Pont.