Author Topic: Base plate flaps rusted shut  (Read 1838 times)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
Base plate flaps rusted shut
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
I was able to acquire a numbers matching QJ for my OHC Sprint.  It came from another OHC motor that had been in a running car but then sat for five years.  What is odd about it is that the bottom plate flaps are rusted shut while the middle and top of the carb are untouched.

I have been working on getting the base plate flaps unstuck and was able t get the secondaries to start working half way.  It has been cleaned with Purple Power and then soaked with PB Blaster in two over night sessions.  It is soaking agin.  AFter the Purple Power cleaning I placed it in the grill at 400 for 20 minutes.

The primaries ar still stuck so I am asking to see if there is a more effective way to get this thing unstuck?

Offline qjetsrule

• Carb lover
Re: Base plate flaps rusted shut
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 04:11:25 AM »
I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS YET, BUT ACCORDING TO THIS SPEEDTALK POST THE COMBINATION OF ACETONE AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID ( OR PWR. STEERING FLUID) IS A VERY GOOD PENETRANT. GOOD LUCK

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33727&p=404035&hilit=acetone+transmission+fluid#p404035

Offline ejowrench

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
I second that motion of acetone and ATF. Acetone can be found at the hardware store in the paint section. Mix it 50/50. Shake well before using.

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
I was able to get everything undone with tons of work.  The base plate got a second hot bath in Purple Power which further removed some junk but did not loosen the shafts.  Soaked it sitting up on end end for 2 hours with PBBlaster in the shaft areas and then was able to get the secondaries to come loose.  I soaked the primaries again over night and they started to come loose, barely.  I continued to work it side to side until they moved about 1/8th inch.  By then I could tell that the shaft was done and had to come out so I murdered it.