Author Topic: braided hose between pump and carb  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
braided hose between pump and carb
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:56:26 AM »
   My car (68 Camaro) was born with a 6 cylinder engine thus it has the 5/16 fuel line.  I currently have a stock 327 so that is not a problem as we speak.  I'm slowly thinking about future upgrades so this coming winter, I'm probably going to install a new 3/8 line, along with a return line. 

While I'm on the fuel system I'd like to install a regulator, along with an inline fuel filter and shut off valve.  My thinking on the shut off valve is that it will allow me to empty the carb when i plan to remove it, as I remove it so often.

I'd like the plumbing between the pump and carb to be flexible because I'd like to experiment with different types of spacers, maybe some intake manifolds as well.  Is braided hose ok/safe ?  Always heard/read that rubber hoses on the pressure side is just asking for trouble.  I see race cars using braided hoses all the time, aren't these rubber hoses covered with braided stainless ?  Which braided hose out there should I use ?  This is a street car. 

I'm planning on using that fitting on the carb: http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/640340/10002/-1

Any filter out there with -6AN ends that I can use an over the shelf fuel filter inside ?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: braided hose between pump and carb
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
   My car (68 Camaro) was born with a 6 cylinder engine thus it has the 5/16 fuel line.  I currently have a stock 327 so that is not a problem as we speak.  I'm slowly thinking about future upgrades so this coming winter, I'm probably going to install a new 3/8 line, along with a return line. 

While I'm on the fuel system I'd like to install a regulator, along with an inline fuel filter and shut off valve.  My thinking on the shut off valve is that it will allow me to empty the carb when i plan to remove it, as I remove it so often.

I'd like the plumbing between the pump and carb to be flexible because I'd like to experiment with different types of spacers, maybe some intake manifolds as well.  Is braided hose ok/safe ?  Always heard/read that rubber hoses on the pressure side is just asking for trouble.  I see race cars using braided hoses all the time, aren't these rubber hoses covered with braided stainless ?  Which braided hose out there should I use ?  This is a street car. 

I'm planning on using that fitting on the carb: http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/640340/10002/-1

Any filter out there with -6AN ends that I can use an over the shelf fuel filter inside ?

I use Earl's hose/fittings/filter. You are correct, but I believe Earl's makes a Teflon inner hose which is better. Mechanical or electric fuel pump? Remember, do not interchange different brands of hoses and fittings. May cause leaks.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 03:37:51 AM »
I plan to use a mechanical pump, maybe a helper electric pump in the rear for when the car has been sitting for a while and the bowl is empty (any suggestions for such a pump anyone ?). 

Which type of hose do YOU use ?  About your filter, can you get replacement elements in auto parts stores ?  Do you run a filter inside the carb ?  Do you use the fitting that I showed in my previous post on the carb ?

Thanks, Frank.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:22:21 AM »
I plan to use a mechanical pump, maybe a helper electric pump in the rear for when the car has been sitting for a while and the bowl is empty (any suggestions for such a pump anyone ?). 

Which type of hose do YOU use ?  About your filter, can you get replacement elements in auto parts stores ?  Do you run a filter inside the carb ?  Do you use the fitting that I showed in my previous post on the carb ?

Thanks, Frank.

I run the Earl's hose with the inner hose being rubber. Don't let that fool you. It is pretty durable hose. Not sure if you can get a replacement filter at the parts stores. Probably special ordered. Yes, I do run a filter in the carb as well. Might be overkill, but you never know. Yes, that fitting is the same I use. As for using a mechanical fuel pump, you are going to need a fitting for the pump outlet as well. Just something to keep in mind. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)