Quadrajet Problem Solving > Quadrajet Parts and Numbers

More on Basic Part - casting - Numbers

(1/2) > >>

makomark:
I have a marine Q-Jet with casting number 17090211.  Does the 9, fourth position, indicate 1990's build timeframe?

tnx

jamesF:
I believe that 1990 was the last year a Qjet was used. So a 9 in that position makes sense as a 1989 designator.. ?

Just guessing..
Can you check the other casting numbers on the carb?

Click on the Logo up top and go to Cliff's site. He has some good info on numbers in the Tech Section. If you haven't already.

Good Luck!
James

makomark:
James:

been to the tech articles pages and also have the book....the nine isn't covered in either spot, hence the Question.

tnx mark

comp:
did you findyour info ???

Cliff Ruggles:
Sorry I missed this thread.  Marine q-jets continued to use the early design castings thru the production runs.  I have yet to see a later style casting built by the factory as a Marine carburetor.  I have seen a few electric choke models, still based on the early castings, instead of divorced choke.

In any case, to date I haven't seen any q-jets, Marine or otherwise with a "9" in that location in the number sequence.   I would imagine that it is for a 1990 Marine application, as the last number run was "8" and coverted 1980 and later units.  It would make sense that a "9" would be the very next run, covering 1990 and later units. 

It would be interesting to know when the last Marine Q-jets were produced.  I've worked on a few Mercruiser marine carburetors as early as 1993, and they were the Webber AFB clones, not Quadrajets, so they may have been phased out by then?.......Cliff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version