Author Topic: Carter (69?) Qjet with no markings  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Smith74

Carter (69?) Qjet with no markings
« on: February 18, 2016, 01:28:35 PM »
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/chadsmithpe/library/?view=recent&page=1

I hope the pictures work...

I have a qjet from a 69 Camaro SS 350 with a 4 speed.  It says mfd by Carter Carburetor for GMC.   There is no stamp or numbers in the "circle" and no vertical numbers. 

ON the bottom in the back on the drivers side is some sideways numbers as follows:
:2877    then at the very corner another 28

There was an illegible, very old sticker in the corner on the back drivers side... I scraped it off thinking maybe there might be something underneath.

anyway.   This is my 1st carb...  and I want to rebuild it and tune it for a 350, AFR 180 heads, 219/227 lunati hyd roller, edelbrock intake... to go with the 4 speed.

any help on what kit to get, etc?

Thanks
Chad

Offline Smith74

Re: Carter (69?) Qjet with no markings
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
Also.   This carb is a spreadbore.   I see on ebaymotors.com quite a few early-mid 70s qjet for sale at $70 or less and some are square bore.  Perhaps its a good idea to get one of these, rebuild, and run on an RPM air-gap intake. 

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »
Hi Chad. 
All quadrajets are spreadbore.
It looks like you have a 1967 Quadrajet that has been mangled by one of the big reman shops.
You would probably be better off with a later quadrajet.  depends on your choke desires and tuning needs.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
Hi Chad. 
All quadrajets are spreadbore.
It looks like you have a 1967 Quadrajet that has been mangled by one of the big reman shops.
You would probably be better off with a later quadrajet.  depends on your choke desires and tuning needs.

I agree. Look for a later Qjet (mid-to-late '70s) and modify it for your specific application. Those earlier carbs are, lets just say a POS, when it comes to modifying. It will save you headaches in the long run as well. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:09:28 AM »
Tag is missing, and it's been commercially "remanufactured" for sure.....Cliff

Offline Smith74

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »
ok

So I'm on a quest to find a mid to late 70s qjet....  with an electric or manual choke?

I don't know much about carbs, so I'm assuming the one I have is a manual...since I don't see any wires that went to it.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »
i prefer  to go 77 or newer , hot air or electric is fine because you will want to convert to electric and its easy to convert . 75 or 76 have some funky extra metering rod that you can plug , not worth your time when you can buy something that will be easy for you to start with. if you don't have buy cliffs book and read it a few times to understand what makes what tick and make very small adjustments when you get close . a lithe goes a long way on certain systems. hth

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »
The carb you have now is a "divorced" choke model, choke coil was mounted on the intake, not on the carb.

The later hot-air units convert to electric easily, and are better made carbs and quite "universal" once converted to e-choke.

I would avoid starting with anything commercially "remanufactured", more often than not they are a "Frankenstein" for parts and "hacked" up internally.  I do this for a living, and avoid them like the plague!.......Cliff

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »
 Just post the carb number and photo of carb on here and we will let you know what you have. Like Cliff said, AVOID AT ALL COST the remanufactured Qjets. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)