Author Topic: Secondary air flaps  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Jeffs68

• Carb lover
Secondary air flaps
« on: May 02, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
Is there any performance advantage to the secondary air flaps that have notches cut out of them as opposed to the ones that don't.
-Jeff

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
Re: Secondary air flaps
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:48 PM »
Depends on location of the POE, and engine/driving desire.  Some POE are under the valve and no need to slot.  Some are in line with the valve and again no need to slot.
In my experience, the secondaries can come in quicker and smoother with modified air valves.  Pontiac made the big slots in theirs.  They seem a little larger than needed.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline Jeffs68

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:13:06 AM »
Thanks for the info :D
-Jeff

Offline Jeffs68

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
Just an update/FYI, I had a very slight delay going WOT, and the trans dropped down with a nice jolt (2 speed), adjusted the  tension on the secondary air flap spring about 1/3 turn. It seem a bit too tight, but after the test drive, no delay and a nice smooth transition when the trans drops to LO.
-Jeff

Offline Jeffs68

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »
Just to clarify, I increased the tension on the spring by 1/3 turn.
-Jeff

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 04:03:27 AM »
The secondary springs get weak and the plastic cams wear out.  I see a LOT of carbs in here with the springs wound too tight and ruined.  If you find yourself adjusting the spring past a full turn it's time for a new one.

Another big issue we've seen in recent years is the white plastic pull-offs currently being offered open too quickly.  We modify every one we sell to slow them down some. 

If the pull-off is too fast it requires too much spring tension to smooth transition.....Cliff