Author Topic: Carb Finish  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Bartman51

Carb Finish
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »
I have a project that I'm using the drivetrain out of an 86 Camaro. I'm taking all the smog stuff off and making everything non computer controlled. So I'm using a 1984 800CFM carb. My question is this. I cleaned the body with Berrymans Chem Dip. I let it soak over night and the finish came off, everywhere except in the float bowl. I do not see anything to make be believe the metal has been harmed in anyway. Is it ok to run it this way or would I absolutely have to have the carb refinished? What if any issues might I run into down the road, corrosion etc. Thanks in advance

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Carb Finish
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 04:23:39 PM »
I have a project that I'm using the drivetrain out of an 86 Camaro. I'm taking all the smog stuff off and making everything non computer controlled. So I'm using a 1984 800CFM carb. My question is this. I cleaned the body with Berrymans Chem Dip. I let it soak over night and the finish came off, everywhere except in the float bowl. I do not see anything to make be believe the metal has been harmed in anyway. Is it ok to run it this way or would I absolutely have to have the carb refinished? What if any issues might I run into down the road, corrosion etc. Thanks in advance

Welcome to CHP!

Yeah, you would run into corrosion down the road. WAY, WAY, down the road though. You will notice pitting and whiting on the casting. Did you make sure you got ALL the passage ways cleared out? You could clear coat the casting that is chemical resistant to help things? Clear coat the linkage, too. Berrymans Chem Dip is bad stuff, IMO. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner or even use diesel fuel/mineral spirits, much better. JMHO.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Bartman51

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:44:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think I might just run it then for a few months and see how it goes. In the mean time, I could be on the lookout for another carb and do it right. I appreciate the feedback. I think if I would have just soaked it for an hour or two it would have been OK. As far as the passages go I will check and make sure. I Also saw a book about modifying one of these. I need to get a copy of that or maybe someone could point me to another source of this information. There is a guy on youtube with a channel called MrHevyShevy who talks about certain mods and increasing the size of some of the passages for performance. What are your thoughts on that. Its not a race car. This is just going to be a daily driver. 1951 Chevy pickup on an 1996 S10 chassis. running a 1986 Camaro drive trane, 305 with HEI dist and non computer controlled carb from a 1984 Chevy pickup.I would like to get descent Gas Milage. Thanks again.

Bartman51

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I think I might just run it then for a few months and see how it goes. In the mean time, I could be on the lookout for another carb and do it right. I appreciate the feedback. I think if I would have just soaked it for an hour or two it would have been OK. As far as the passages go I will check and make sure. I Also saw a book about modifying one of these. I need to get a copy of that or maybe someone could point me to another source of this information. There is a guy on youtube with a channel called MrHevyShevy who talks about certain mods and increasing the size of some of the passages for performance. What are your thoughts on that. Its not a race car. This is just going to be a daily driver. 1951 Chevy pickup on an 1996 S10 chassis. running a 1986 Camaro drive trane, 305 with HEI dist and non computer controlled carb from a 1984 Chevy pickup.I would like to get descent Gas Milage. Thanks again.

Bartman51

Get Cliff Ruggle's book on here http://www.cliffshighperformance.dreamhosters.com and it is on the bottom left side of the page, with the transmission books. Order that Quadrajet book. No other! Cliff's is the BEST and read religiously and decide which recipe to use. Or come on here and some will assist you. :D
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)