Author Topic: needing a little advice  (Read 1470 times)

Offline 68qj4me

• Garage guy
needing a little advice
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:29:30 AM »
ok 1st time posting here so hopefully I am doing this right. I have a quadrajet #17058240. That carb shows it cam off a 1978 buick regal 3.8 turbo. The carb is in really god shape. I do have Cliff's book and have read though it. It was mentioned in the that it is different for the turbo. But my question is can I plug or drill holes to make the carb work on a non turbo engine?

The plan it to use it on stock chev 454 with a little bigger cam for now. The future plan is to use it 500hp 454 in a couple of years. I also have a really nice holley that I planned on using for the 500hp motor, but after reading cliffs book I am really excited to play around with the quad.  ;D.

Any advice would be great guys
Thx

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: needing a little advice
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:50:34 PM »
The turbo carburetors routed vacuum to the Power Piston in from the front so they could put a valve in line to keep from pressurizing the float bowl under boost.  Otherwise they are the same as the standard N/A carburetors.

You can block the vacuum port in the front of the baseplate and drill vacuum to the PP, no worries.

That carb will need a slight recalibration for the BBC application with a bigger cam in it.  When you are ready to do the build call the shop and we can set you up with a kit and tuning parts to take the guesswork out setting it up......Cliff