Author Topic: How many differences were there with the California Carbs? Are they reversible?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline kingpenm3

I've got a 17057501 quadrajet on my (new to me) California '77 Caprice Classic Wagon. The code reads correct to the original carb in a California setup. So how different were these carbs? Just different settings? Or different parts as well? Thanks.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
I've got a 17057501 quadrajet on my (new to me) California '77 Caprice Classic Wagon. The code reads correct to the original carb in a California setup. So how different were these carbs? Just different settings? Or different parts as well? Thanks.

Welcome to CHP! 8)

Yes, different calibrations were used between CA carbs and Federal carbs. Usually CA carbs were leaner. So, to answer your second question, yes, you should be able to reverse. By changing metering jets/rods.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
California emission standards were always a little "tighter" during the years of production so yes those carburetors were calibrated differently than the 48 State versions the same year/model. 

They were also calibrated with ALL of the emission control devices in place and operational.  California still requires older vehicles to comply with emission standards, and they also must pass a visual inspection in addition to smog testing. 

I'm not sure how far back they go for model year, but if you are in California your older vehicle may be subject to emission testing, and require all of the emission control devices to be in place for testing.

If you have obtained a Quadrajet that has the part number for CA emissions, it can be recalibrated if/as needed if being used outside of the original application.  So basically no need to avoid those carburetors for any reason.......Cliff

Offline kingpenm3

Thanks for the info!