Author Topic: Ongoing Balwin B-39 filter issue, any input???? Help!!  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
Ongoing Balwin B-39 filter issue, any input???? Help!!
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
Ran my 67 gto for last 2 seasons never a issue. This yr. i am leaking oil around top of filter. Enough to drip down on header when i am running. I removed the one with only 20 miles on it & replaced it with another and its doing same thing. Filter is hand tight not overtightened for sure. Silly as is sounds i actually had up a batch of epoxy and smeraed it around the top to stop the leak. After a 1/4 pass im still getting about 4 to 5 drops on the header. Oil pressure is 60 at idle as usual and 40 threw a run. Any ideas??? Leaning on buying a new housing or try a used one i have here.Anybody having a issue like this???

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Ongoing Balwin B-39 filter issue, any input???? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:10:23 AM »
I've been using those filters for quite a few years and all have been leak free.....Cliff

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
Re: Ongoing Balwin B-39 filter issue, any input???? Help!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:02:46 PM »
First Guess:  Not the filter.

Second Guess:  Leaking above the filter, drooling down onto the filter where it becomes noticeable.  I'd be looking for a cracked filter adapter; possibly a gouge or divot on the gasket surface where the oil filter gasket seals to the adapter.  A leaking adapter-to-engine gasket is another possibility.

Blow some talcum powder on everything in the area, see where it's wet.  Or use ultraviolet dye in the oil and a UV lamp.
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.