Author Topic: Is this Rochester worth anything?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
Is this Rochester worth anything?
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:33:39 PM »
I am a Pontiac guy;
I bought a carb today as a core, but am wondering if it's worth leeping together;
Looks to be a 1973 Oldsmobile 455(?) manual transmission carb, has assembly line pick code - so it's not a service replacement.

Is this worth anything?
Thoughts?
I see what appears to be a couple on eBay, but it doesn't look lole they go for much...

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Is this Rochester worth anything?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »
I am a Pontiac guy;
I bought a carb today as a core, but am wondering if it's worth leeping together;
Looks to be a 1973 Oldsmobile 455(?) manual transmission carb, has assembly line pick code - so it's not a service replacement.

Is this worth anything?
Thoughts?
I see what appears to be a couple on eBay, but it doesn't look lole they go for much...

Not sure if it's worth anything. Nice carb though. I have one, too. Probably worth something to an Olds guy. I also believe it is a DMAB carb.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:19:46 AM »
what is DMAB?
I haven't read that before.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
SMAB, not DMAB.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
what is DMAB?
I haven't read that before.

DMAB      dual main air bleed                     
SMAB      single main air bleed
Jim

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
ok, thanks - I'm going to have to put some research into those terms.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
DMAB      dual main air bleed                     
SMAB      single main air bleed

Thanks, Jim! Surprised he's never heard of that acronym. :o
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »
Thanks, Jim! Surprised he's never heard of that acronym. :o
Here's my secret, I am 100% self taught.

As a kid, I was one of those who took something apart, then often later tried to put it back together - sometimes having "extra" parts left over... (whoops!)

I bought my car with a smogger chevy carb, rebuilt it and eventually sold it to a local and rebuilt a better donor carb for my car...

My carburetor knowledge has largely been gleaned from hands on experience, observing what's correct or where things are wrong and making them work better than I purchased them.

I rarely come across these vintage cores, which explains the size of my "collection" when stacked against the amount of time I have into it.

I did buy Cliffs book, and it is great, but I have been mostly focused on correct stuff rather than modifying carbs for all out performance;
My angle has always been "correct for my car"...
The first Pontiac 4MV Quadrajet I found was a 7041264 - I got it running pretty good considering how warped the top plate was...
The next was a 7029268 - that one I got running top notch;
Eventually this started spilling over to looking for what would be "correct for my model year" (think: Pure Stock Musclecar Drags), and what the differences were between my original equipment carb, or other 'correct' carbs...

As the years went on, I started finding more Pontiac 4MV carbs, and a couple Chevy/Olds cores with small parts to complete my Pontiac carbs - ditto for the pre-smog 4MC Pontiac carbs...

I then expanded to looking for, and finding information on "correct for 68-78 Pontiac" - because there are other locals looking for this stuff too...

I have genuinely been having some fun with these carbs, and most often I sell odds and ends of the extra stuff I pick up to fund buying more "junk" - at the end of the day very little of my annual income goes into parts...

So, I might not be well versed in correct carburetor terminology... but I'm learning ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:25:18 PM by unruhjonny »

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
 I didn't mean it in a hurtful way, Jon. I am self-taught, too. Heck, half the terminology, I still don't know. ;D

Have a nice a day bud! 8)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
it's all good :D

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
It's a 73 Olds 455 with auto trans.  Olds had may ending in odd numbers for automatics.

Olds also kept old Quadrajet design for many years and didn't move to the newer float position and size like others did in 69-70.  This carb is good for Olds people though.

I would be interested in it if you are selling.  Always looking for good cores of all types.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 03:07:10 AM »
The Oldsmobile carburetors from 1970-74 were hot-air choke, and all of them are basically the same.  They are the smaller "750" cfm castings, but also continued to use the early large float/hinge pin arrangement.

I tend to avoid them for serious high performance use, but they are nice units and w/o much trouble will support decent power and do a fine job of powering most well thought out street engines.

They have very little core value unless you have one of the W-30 variety, and we get very few calls to the shop for them.......Cliff

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
It's a 73 Olds 455 with auto trans.  Olds had may ending in odd numbers for automatics.

Interesting - I have never come across this.

Olds also kept old Quadrajet design for many years and didn't move to the newer float position and size like others did in 69-70.  This carb is good for Olds people though.

I would be interested in it if you are selling.  Always looking for good cores of all types.
I bought it for the fuel bowl vent parts on the front of the airhorn - that's it.
If you want it, PM me, I can box it up... hopefully i have an appropriate sized box somewhere.
If I don't keep it together I'll take off bits for my stash of 702xxxx/704xxxx carbs that I have going.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 03:06:12 AM »
I have a good supply of them, they are very slow movers here....tks...Cliff