Author Topic: seat threads  (Read 2543 times)

Offline gsclark

seat threads
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »
Hello,
   I am rebuilding a 7042262 carb for a friend. The threads for the seat have corroded away due to water damage. Is there an oversize seat kit available or can I Heli-coil it with a 3/8x24 kit? I am concerned that the casting is too thin for a Heli-coil tap. He brought me another 7042264 bowl, but it has the same problem. I have done several q-jets over the last 25 years and never ran into this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks, Clark

Offline davis95

• Garage guy
Re: seat threads
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
I haven't had this issue on float seats, but I've done similar repairs on
other items by coating the inside walls of the hole with JB Weld and just
rethread it to the same size the next day. A toothpick is handy for applying the epoxy.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:35:34 AM »
Clark, we see this on occassion, mostly with the Carter castings.  They can be heli-coiled for 3/8-24.  This will often not leave enough material for a good seal, and may require a fiber washer to be used that is slightly larger in diameter than the stock seal.  I alway Marine Tex them in place as a back-up to the seal, and have never had one leak to date.....Cliff

Offline gsclark

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:17:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will try to Heli-coil it. I can practice on the spare casting he brought me. Both castings are Carter castings. Where can I get Marine Tex epoxy?

Thanks, Clark

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:34:46 AM »
We sell it here, with our bottom plug repair kit.  Most Marine stores will have it as well....Cliff