Author Topic: Cold start flooding  (Read 3542 times)

Offline 87mcss

• Garage guy
Cold start flooding
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:36:54 AM »
I'm having an issue with the carb leaking fuel when it sits for several hours or over night. The choke is working well, I have the pull-off adjusted properly, but when it sits for a while liquid gas seeps into the plenum and causes a very rich cold idle. It takes some effort but if I get the RPM up around 3k or so and let the engine blow it out she idles beautifully after that right around 1500 RPM until it's warm. I had the carb apart and filled the bowl with gas, just letting it sit on the bench nothing came out at all. I built it using the kit Cliff sent me. The air horn gasket appears to be wet at all times now. There also seems to be some gas around the accelerator pump piston. Could this be because I've had the unit apart too many times, making adjustments, and the gasket is worn out? Letting gas get where it shouldn't be? Or do I maybe have the float set too high? It set to 1/4". Combination of both? Has anyone dealt with this? I've ordered another air horn gasket from Cliff just in case. It's a 17059508 on and SBC 400. After the initial startup it runs great and I love it! The wife is jealous of how much better my engine runs than her big block Ford with a Holley.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Cold start flooding
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:00:36 AM »
I would pressure test the bottom plugs as it will find leaks that will not show up simply putting fuel in the bowl and waiting for it to seep through. 

I'd replace the gasket and make sure that the airhorn isn't warped between the hold down bolts and front screw in the airhorn.....Cliff

Offline 87mcss

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
Replaced the air horn gasket and now everything seems good. There was some slight warpage on the air horn but I didn't have time to tackle that and hoped the gasket was thick enough to make up the difference. So far it's running great. Fires right up, no more gargling fuel when cold.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »
 I would still pressure test the bottom plugs. I know it's a later unit, but you never know.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)