Author Topic: Idle speed issue '75 350 Chevy  (Read 1280 times)

Offline winston-north

Idle speed issue '75 350 Chevy
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
Hi guys, just had a Edelbrock 1904 serviced with you guys and it has much, much better throttle response than it did before. I just need some help and or advice for an issue.  The idle speed is self-adjusting itself during driving. I initially set the idle in park at 800 rpm, and then it goes down to 600 rpm when put into gear. Perfect. However, after driving, sometimes the idle speed will go slightly up and then slightly down on me. Sometimes the idle speed in park or neutral will be 900, sometimes 800 and sometimes 700rpm. There seems to be a 200 rpm range that it readjusts itself to, and I never know where it might end up. Car is '75 camaro with stock 350 small block with an edelbrock aluminum intake.  8.5 compression ratio, original 882 cylinder heads, dish-style pistons and stock .390-.410 lift cam with duration at .050 195-203. Anything that might be causing this, or anything I can do to address this? Thanks!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Idle speed issue '75 350 Chevy
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:01:11 AM »
If the throttle isn't sticking then it will be the distributor in most cases.  The timing at idle isn't staying consistent and putting some it right at idle speed.

Check the timing and make sure it is rock solid in and out of gear and none coming in at idle speed.

We see this all the time and it is usually diagnosed as a carb issue.....Cliff