Author Topic: Q-Jet Rich transition from idle to off idle  (Read 2174 times)

Offline 79Firebird_99TA

• Garage guy
Q-Jet Rich transition from idle to off idle
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
This q-jet was rebuilt and modified by Cliff 10 plus years ago. It was due for a rebuild as it had some junk in the float bowl. After getting it all back together it has a rich condition when flicking the throttle off idle. I've adjusted the APT, fuel mixture, secondary flap spring ... so all that is good. When I take off the accelerator pump rod, the throttle response is really good.

I think that the power piston spring was a bit too stout so I'm going to put in a lighter spring. Does this sound like the issue and/or jet/rod combo? I don't know what the jets/rods are.  I'm only doing around 12hg of vacuum and I tried manifold and ported vacuum to the advance can. I prefer ported which is where I've left it. Any assistance is appreciated.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Q-Jet Rich transition from idle to off idle
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:36 AM »
What is the carburetor part number?

Engine specifications?

What did you do to the carburetor aside from installing new internals?

Offline 79Firebird_99TA

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »
The carb is a 17057262. The engine is a 400 with an XE-268 cam/4 speed/3.08 rear. I've got 6x-4 heads on it; they're milled .065". I think that puts it at 9.2:1 SC. I use ported vacuum ... at idle I've got 12in. hg. As far as the internals, I only cleaned the carb and replaced the internals with your kit. The idle mixture screws are right at 4 turns out and the APT has it's highest RPM (starting 1500 rpm at 4.5 turns out. ) Throttle response is fine when cold. 

Offline 79Firebird_99TA

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
I put a lighter power piston spring in it (the orange in the 1994 edelbrock kit).  It's supposed to be for 12 in. hg of vacuum at idle which is what I have. Didn't help one bit. I'm actually going to put the previous spring back in it. I have a fairly tall accelerator pump duration spring in it. Should I go shorter? There was a shorter spring that came with the kit which I didn't use.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:09:00 AM »
I'm slightly confused.  Are you mixing parts from one of those Edelbrock tuning kits for a 1910 into the deal here?....

Offline 79Firebird_99TA

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
Sorry ... I think I was confused too. I tried a spring from a 1994 kit (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1994) ... the orange spring. Everything else is from your kit. The carb performs great except that the pump shot is too strong. The accelerator pump that I pulled out had two springs  (not the return spring in the float bowl).  It's possible that I picked up the wrong pump when I rebuilt it. If I disable the accelerator pump (as a test) the throttle response is good.

Offline 79Firebird_99TA

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 11:37:15 AM »
Ok .. problem is solved. The accelerator pump had 2 springs and was obviously stiffer. I have no idea where that part came from ... anyhow, I removed one spring and it's good to go.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 03:06:58 AM »
Good news....