Author Topic: advice on electronic carb, rebuild or not?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
advice on electronic carb, rebuild or not?
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »
A guy at work asked if I could rebuild his carb in his 82   {83?} Camaro. He says it is an electronic carb.
Should I tell him to get rid of it [install a non elecrtronic] or are parts available {such as throttle position sensor}? What about the computer? It's all stock. It runs but not too good. Are some parts "unobtainable"? Don't want to get in over my head on this. By the way, there's plenty of E-carbs in the salvage yard. Are they worth more or less money [than non E-carbs]. I'm trying to figure out a way to get the place to sell them to me for cheap. They got alot of good parts on them.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: advice on electronic carb, rebuild or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 04:00:37 AM »
I'd rebuild the original unit, same basic deal as a non-computerized carburetor, just has an M/C solenoid and TPS.  The airhorn has an airbleed deal that needs a couple of seals, otherwise, not much different anyplace than a older style unit.

If the service engine light isn't staring him in the face, put the stock M/C solenoid and TPS back in the carb during rebuilding.  The TPS is very easily broken when putting the airhorn back in place if you aren't careful, otherwise, it's just another carb build.....Cliff

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: advice on electronic carb, rebuild or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
thanks CLiff, very good advice indeed!!