Author Topic: 409 Cubes, 254 deg @.050 on a 102 LSA, "stock" intake...where do I even start?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline BanditDave

I am working on a stock-appearing combo but my biggest stubbling block at this point has to be the carburetor tune up.

This engine went 11.50s in a 3480 lb car with a Holley Street Dominator intake, two 1 inch spacers and a Holley carb...the carb was always ridiculously fat smelling, probably because it was without a PV but the car flat out hauled a$$. Now that I am trying to get into a "factory-appearing" class, I am trying to figure out how to make this '70 Olds Q-jet work for me. After reading through the book a few times, I am still a little lost with where to start on the jet size and whether or not it makes sense to leave out the Primary metering rods. I plan on doing everything in the book, but I am concerned I may do all this work and miss the mark.

What do you suggest??? How heavy is your workload?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
The 1970 Old's Q-jet will work fine.  They are more sensitive to fuel pressure, inlet seat size and fuel pressure than the later designs, but we have plenty of folks running good with them.

It can easily be set up to run straight off the main jets, we have all the items needed to do this, and to set up the carb for the application.

Currently we at least 6 months backlogged on carb work.....Cliff