Author Topic: Removing Primary Shaft Screws  (Read 2005 times)

Offline von

• Carb lover
Removing Primary Shaft Screws
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:11:43 AM »
  I know most recommend grinding off the staked end and removing the screws normally. This has worked for me some of the time but I had one where, after grinding off the staked ends almost to the shaft, 3 of the 4 screws twisted off the heads when attempting to remove them. Had to drill them out, use a larger screw on one, etc. Time consuming pain. I saw somewhere that someone recommends removal by TIGHTENING the screw til the head twists off, then grabbing the staked end by vise grips and removing from that side. Any comments on that?

Offline billy 2

• Carb lover
Re: Removing Primary Shaft Screws
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:05:19 AM »
Von    I do that a lot of times, but you need to make sure that there is enough of the screw sticking out of the bottom side of the shaft to get hold of with pliers.  Sometimes the screws are staked and you have to file them right down flush with the throttle shaft.  But, sometimes it seems there is always one that will need to be drilled and tapped. I have a friend that is a tool and dye maker who is going to make a tool that will sit down in the recessed area where the throttle plates sit in the shaft and will  act as a guide for  the drill bit.          Billy2