Author Topic: Choke Pull-Off  (Read 2639 times)

Offline SundanceKid

• Garage guy
Choke Pull-Off
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »
Cliff, I'm sure you've been asked this a million times...

In your book, your pretty adamant about using a choke pull-off. I've never had much luck with them (slow acting or otherwise), so I remove 'em.

My vehicles are all light and have high horsepower/torque. I also spend a great deal of time fine tuning the secondary air flap spring tension to ensure a smooth secondary transition.

Speaking of which, I remove the small spring on the side and use an accelerator pump spring on top of the secondary hanger to adjust the tension. I do this for two reasons, the slight friction on the hanger seems to help the transition and it doesn't require tools to adjust.

I don't use the secondaries when my engine isn't warm (bad idea anyway).

So if the transition is smooth from the primaries to the secondaries and you don't try to floor it when your engine is cold, is there a reason to use a choke pull-off that I am unaware of?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Choke Pull-Off
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:42:30 AM »
The choke pull-off is used to keep the flaps from "whipping" open, and causing a momentary lean condition.

Tuning without one requires too much spring tension, and can hurt high rpm and top end power as the amount of "pull" on the flaps is not as great at steep angles.

With a well calibrated pull-off, we can run very little flap tension.  This also helps recovery time with road-race and stick shift cars, etc.......Cliff

Offline SundanceKid

• Garage guy
Re: Choke Pull-Off
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:58:28 AM »
This also helps recovery time with road-race and stick shift cars, etc.......Cliff

Ahhh... now that I have had issues with. Not always, but sometimes while auto crossing when coming off the throttle and then back on quickly it's less than smooth. Good to know.