Author Topic: Leaking inverted flare connection  (Read 1373 times)

Offline sailorgp

Leaking inverted flare connection
« on: June 26, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
Has anyone heard of using soft copper washers to eliminate leaks on flared fittings? Copper washers are used inside flared fittings in the refrigeration industry. The reason I ask is because I'm having problems with the fuel inlet connection on my qjet.

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
Re: Leaking inverted flare connection
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
Yes. I used them in my 1/2" stainless fuel line. There was  one connection that I just couldn't get to stop seeping no matter how often I worked it. Maybe because I have a 220GPH pump in the tank so it is going to find a leak more likely than if I was running a stock mechanical pump.
I bought mine here:
https://haywardsupply.com/pages/search-results?type=product&q=COPPER+FLARE+GASKET
Search for Flare Bonnets. or Flare washers

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
If you try it & it works great but don't rule out a crack in the seam of the tubing at the flare.
Jim

Offline von

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:19:02 AM »
Yes I've used them successfully on a Holley.

Offline RonA

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 05:02:00 AM »
I think if you put a small coating of moly paste or some other lube on the back of the flare and nut you will probably get another 1/4 turn. Sometimes the two bind if dry and feel tight.

Offline sailorgp

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »
Thank you all for the hints/tips. I'm picking up some 3/8" flared copper washers from Grainger later today. Before using one I will try and work (tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen) the fittings one more time before going the washer route. I've already lubed it and even used a magnifying glass to inspect for cracks or nicks in the mating surfaces.
This is a boat engine I'm working on so I need to be 110% sure there are no leaks.
Kurt