Author Topic: Remanufactured carb info  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Kmac74

• Garage guy
Remanufactured carb info
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:54:46 AM »
Need some help, I have the following idle specs on a carb I was thinking of building. Carb number 7045213. Remanufactured by Holley 64-7153. These are the specs, idle tubes .0360, idle down channel .0635, upper idle air bleed .0890, lower idle air bleed .0520, idle bypass air .1405, mixture screw holes .0820. What do you think? Find another one that was stock or build this one and see what happens? Thanks

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
Re: Remanufactured carb info
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
Is the power piston pin clipped?
Idle bypass holes in main body blocked?
What are main air bleed sizes?
Most of those remains require significant work to bring back to life.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline Kmac74

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:14:02 AM »
Thanks for the response. Yes the power piston is clipped and the bypass air holes were blocked off. Main air bleeds were large also. I have two more cores im going to measure this week and just shelf that remanufactured carb.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 04:56:58 AM »
As far as "remans" go Holley's were among the worse that I've seen here.  Almost every single one will have been converted to smaller MAB's so it may have been done quite some time ago but it is still "generic" if the post on the bottom of the PP is clipped off.

The factory was very specific with the Chevy large MAB units and used the APT system in the baseplate to raise pretty large diameter metering rods well up out of the jets to get them exactly where they needed to be per application.

I've seen dozens of different calibrations used on those early Chevy divorced choke units.  The worst of the bunch use HUGE upper idle bleeds making it difficult if not near impossible to get adequate idle fuel to a performance engine no matter how big the idle tubes and DCR's are drilled to......Cliff

Offline Kmac74

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »
Thanks Cliff, for the response. I've only done basic rebuilds on Quadrajets, this will be my first try at a "recipe".

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 03:52:18 AM »
Applying a "recipe" to a commercially remanufactured carburetor can be a lesson in humility.  Tread softly and leave no stones unturned and don't assume anything.  Most remanufactured Quadrajets have many items changed or tampered with and you really have to have your game on the day you set them up. 

For the most part we don't work on them here.  I've found over the years that by the time I re-engineer a remanufactured carb I could have pulled two "virgin" units from the core pile and had them completed with perfect results.

Not trying to put a big black cloud over your project, just be aware that remanufactured carburetors have many things done to them that may make for a poor end result despite your best efforts.

I could literally write a book on that subject alone, going into great detail of why miss-matching components between similar units changes EVERYTHING in the recalibration game, etc. 

Even with all that said I'm sure you'll be fine, just might have to jump thru some hoops to get there.........Cliff

Offline Kmac74

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
Finally got my 2nd core apart amd measured. Carb #17054919. Idle tubes .0380, idle down channel. 0465, upper idle air bleed .0670, lower idle air bleed .0595, idle bypass .1160,  main air bleed body .1200, air bleed in air horn .1200.
I was surprised to see the idle tubes at .0380, i thought that was too large. Is this one a good choice to build? THANKSI

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 02:01:06 AM »
Nice unit, Service Replacement and for sure better to work with than any "remanufactured" carb.....Cliff