Author Topic: Nozzle drip  (Read 2414 times)

Online 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
Nozzle drip
« on: June 21, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
How far open do the plates generally have to be open before it starts the boosters? I have about 2 turns on the screw from seating the plates

This carb is going on a circle track car. Is it acceptable to have some nozzle drip? I'd rather clean it up.

The motor it's going on is a 305 & I have no idea what the cam specs are but I was testing on my 385 that has about 10 in. vac. @ idle I don't know if it would be comparable.
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Nozzle drip
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:15:59 AM »
Nozzle drip at idle indicates not enough idle fuel, or idle bypass air, or both.  A high idle speed will also induce nozzle drip as the engine starts pulling fuel from the carburetors main system.

You would have to test the carb on the 305 to know if it's really going to work correctly or not?  If it has similiar vacuum at idle characteristics as teh 385, then it woln't be far off?....Cliff

Online 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:50:26 AM »
What would you shoot for on idle air bypass? I'm .109 now.
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:37:25 AM »
That should be enough for the little 305 engine, even with a pretty big cam in it.  Throw your hand over the top of the choke housing at idle, and see if it speeds up/smooths out?  Probably needs more idle fuel to get it back on the idle curcuit....Cliff