Author Topic: Application advice  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Michael9040

• Garage guy
Application advice
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:57:57 AM »
I have a '67 427 Impala and I am more concerned with "correctness" than high performance.  Having said that, the correct carburetor is 7027201 and they are pricey.  My car came with a 7029202 which would be correct if I had a '69 350 automatic.  So, do I rebuild that carb and jet it for the new application (it will also need a fuel inlet heli-coil)?  I have a 7025220 off of my '65 396 but I know that isn't a favorite candidate.  I can buy a Edelbrock 1901 reasonably but that is not even close to correct.  What do you guys think?  Do I press one that I have into service, do I hold out for the correct one that I really can't justify having $800-$1000 in or do I look for another candidate that looks reasonably correct and does a great job?
Thanks!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Application advice
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:45:28 AM »
The early carburetors can certainly be made to work, but more often than not, they need a lot of help to get them up to par. 

In the past couple of years we've restored quite a few 1965-1967 q-jets.  They are always in need of a lot of attention.  Bottom plugs will leak 100 percent of the time, even the front plugs.  The early 65-66 models have a piss-poor opening system for the secondary airflap.  The plunger type fuel inlet deal is HOPELESS.  Even with upgraded parts, they can still be very difficult to use on powerful engines.

All the negatives aside, with enough attention to the troubled areas, and complete/correct rebuilding, they can be made to be very reliable carburetors for restoration projects.

I wouldn't even consider using one for high HP levels, drag racing, etc.  Best to shelve them at that point, and use a 1969 or newer Chevy divorced choke model.....Cliff

Offline Michael9040

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
Thanks for your considerable reply, Cliff!  So what I hear you saying is that the 65-66 is a real problem, the 67-68 can work if I really need it to but if I don't care enough to spend that $800 I should use the '69 that I have and enjoy it.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:08:59 AM »
Yep, the 69 is a better unit all the way around, and they look pretty much the same as well.  We always use the units with the later float set-up for high HP applications, unless the owner just have to have the original early unit.....Cliff