Author Topic: Secondary initial bog  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Bills64

• Garage guy
Secondary initial bog
« on: August 10, 2022, 05:54:31 PM »
Does the primary circuit have any effect on the
initial secondary opening?
Dealing with an initial secondary stumble. When you hit it, stumbles for a brief second or 2 then jumps up and screams.
Just bought one of cliffs timed choke pull offs and the the air flap spring from 1/4 of a turn and now up to 3/4 turn with no difference. Just wondering about the primary having any effect.
I have a 17057274 carb on a 421.
New to the site so please bare with me.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Secondary initial bog
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 04:39:14 AM »
Make sure that you adjust the link up to the secondaries so when the pull-off is applied it is holding the flaps closed.

The accl pump is a big player with secondary transition and any delay or poor pump shot will cause hesitation/stumble/bog when you go into the secondaries.

Also make sure that the POE tubes haven't fallen out of the airhorn and that the holes leading to the wells under them are open.  Also check the holes in the airhorn to make sure they aren't plugged up and that POE fuel is actually getting to the secondaries when they open.......

Offline Bills64

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 05:02:19 PM »
Still working on my secondary bog issue. I'm working with recipe #3 in cliff's book. Trying to figure out where the "secondary POE well restriction" and " secondary POE restriction" he's referring to is. Not sure what I'm looking for.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 04:55:14 AM »
You don't need to touch anything on that carb in the POE area, it's already done for you.  Make sure that when the pull-off is fully applied it is just closing and holding the secondaries closed with no more than about .010" slack in the linkage.  When released insure the flaps can open clean and smooth without binding.

If you haven't done so get one of my accl pumps to improve fuel delivery and volume from the primaries.  Replace the secondary cam and spring at the same time and set the spring to about 3/4 turns and put some light grease on the pin the spring rides on.  Not sure what secondary hanger and rods you are using but they are also players in this deal........