Author Topic: NEW QUADRAJET PRW INDUSTRIES  (Read 895 times)

Offline qjetsrule

• Carb lover

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
Re: NEW QUADRAJET PRW INDUSTRIES
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 04:42:11 AM »
Watched the video on YouTube, and it is cool that they are reviving the quadrajet. But he says they are 600 and 650 cfm I think. So why and how would you make them smaller than the original design?

Offline Brian B.

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 05:19:38 PM »
I wonder why they flow so much less. It just doesn't feel right and I trust the Rochester engineers who designed the originals  I have zero interest in these from a performance standpoint.  But thank you for updating us.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 05:39:42 PM by Brian B. »

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 06:15:26 PM »
I smell Chinesium.

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 09:00:18 AM »
I wonder if the hardware will be all proprietary. Like will the jets and rods be interchangeable with current parts or would you have to go to them for calibration pieces.

Offline novadude

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 05:49:25 AM »
Looks like the same Chinese knock-offs that are all over Ebay these days. 

Offline novadude

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 05:55:13 AM »
One more thing to add... I've had my hands on one of those Chinese ebay carbs, and they are light.  Like noticeably lighter than a GM or Edelbrock Q-jet... don't need a scale to tell the obvious difference.  I don't know what material they are cast from, but it is definitely not the original zinc alloy.

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 10:36:39 AM »
Are they aluminum? I have a 4360 Holley they are aluminum & it's way lighter than zinc.
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 05:50:51 AM »
I just had one come in here, purchased locally to feed a Chevy 350 crate engine making 290hp.

All I can tell you guys is that they copied a 1979-80 Chevy truck carb, and did NOT make the needed changes to make it work correctly or user friendly. 

Right to start with NO ONE wants the charcoal canister 3/8" vent in the front, and when you have E-choke the fresh air supply tube in the rear of the airhorn is NOT needed.

The rear pull-off doing both functions is not a good set-up either.  They should have used the front pull-off model instead.

The parts they used are horrible, especially the accl pump, so plan on upgrading them.

Internally they have screw in IFR's and a few other mods to make them easier to tune, but overall it's not close enough out of the box for the average hobbyist to work with. 

I also had one of the early divorced choke models come in and it took me three tries to get it dialed in for the heavy cammed 406 SBC on the customers Chevelle. 

I'm with Lars on these carbs, you'd be a lot further ahead to just buy a nice original core and build your own......FWIW.....