Author Topic: Idle and Perf Issues  (Read 2205 times)

Offline RMA

• Garage guy
Re: Idle and Perf Issues
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »
Thanks Cliff I appreciate the advice.   
It's getting hard to find people that are knowledgeable and passionate about these cars. thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2023, 03:37:18 AM »
You are most welcome. 

It's better when I get involved with these things BEFORE the engine is placed in service, which seldom happens.

I've lost count of how many ill fated engine "builds" have been brought here over the years for custom tuning, or that I've build carburetors for to get them working well.

You'd think with all this good info out there these machine shops and engine builders would be able to make better decisions with these things, but sadly they do not......

Offline RMA

• Garage guy
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 07:55:37 AM »
Quick update.  I checked the vacuum in park its 10-12 and in drive drops all the way down to 6-7 in.  Confirmed with the timing light the vacuum advance is actually retarding the timing in drive about 6-8 degrees.  Seem typical for this combination?  Has anyone had any experience with an adjustable vacuum canister?  Confirmed with a hand pump the current canister starts to advance at about 7 in.  Thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 01:15:16 PM »
If you are trying to use manifold vacuum to apply the advance it's a MUST to use an "adjustable" unit and you are going to have to set the "all-in" timing it applies BELOW the lowest vacuum reading you're getting at idle or it's going to drop-out some timing when a load is placed on the engine (trans placed in gear/vacuum falls off some).

Despite how popular that method of tuning is, it's more of a "crutch" when you simply don't have enough compression for the cam right to start with.   As much as I've tried over the years I've never been overly happy with running the timing clear off the scale at idle speed to make an engine happy.  Can it be done, yes, with enough persistence and making more fuel available to the idle mixture screws you can get it to work OK with those methods. 

Also keep in mind that the carburetor is equally as important in getting a good end result when things are less than ideal for CID/Cam/Compression.  Engines making low vacuum at idle will need more idle bypass air, and more fuel available to the idle mixture screws......

Offline RMA

• Garage guy
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »
I'll look into an adjustable canister.  I currently have the idle mix screws out 5 to 6 turns.  Sorry I'm still learning  -  what's the best way to increase my idle bypass air...?  Thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2023, 04:01:49 AM »
All of that information is in my book, with pictures....

Offline RMA

• Garage guy
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2023, 08:18:49 AM »
Ok.  Thank you.