Author Topic: Reman 4MV Metering Rod Issue  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Oregondawg

Reman 4MV Metering Rod Issue
« on: September 05, 2023, 03:54:27 PM »
Greetings.
New to Forums so will probably mess this up.
I have a Reman 4MV (purchased from Summit about 7 years ago). No "Part Number" visible (ground off).
It never really ran right and developed main well plugs leakage so I tore it down to fix that.
This is the "Old Style" Quadrajet with the long Power Piston (APT Screw in throttle body). I discovered that it had 44J main metering rods with 70 main jets. When the Power Piston is raised (by the spring) the rods come up out of the jest to the pint that they get stuck and will not "re-enter". From all of my research I believe that this model should not have "J" rods but rather perhaps "B"?
Would the extra length of the older (correct) rods prevent the hang up or is there another issue here?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Reman 4MV Metering Rod Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 05:58:45 PM »
Those carburetors used longer primary metering rods.  "B" series is only one style used in them, but the most common.

It is difficult to help with those carbs, they are "remanufactured" and typically "Frankencarbs" or built from parts from different units. 

I can supply parts, rebuild kits, and tuning parts IF we can figure out exactly what it is and what's been done to it. 

I've been at this over 45 years at this point and to date have NEVER seen one of those carbs that worked like it was supposed to, or even close to being where it needed to be right out of the box.  It amazes me to this day that they can sell them without a 100 percent return ratio......FWIW.....

Offline Oregondawg

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 08:21:57 AM »
Thank you for responding so quickly Cliff.
I kinda figured I had a "Frankencarb" on my hands (bought AND read your book...great stuff!).
I'll do some research and then will order a Rod/Jet set from you once I decide on sizes. It's on a Chevy 307 (yeah, I know...) with a moderate cam, 416 heads and headers with crossover so I'm thinking 40B with 70 jets (unless you have a better suggestion). Not trying to build a dragster but would like better performance from the beast

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 08:28:19 PM »
You will need to measure the MAB's before picking jet and primary metering rod sizes.  In almost all cases the companies who remanufacture these carbs alter many things in them, including main airbleed sizes.

Since you have my book identify, locate and measure all the items mention in my "recipes".  Once you have that information I can help you with tuning parts.....

Offline Oregondawg

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 10:01:46 AM »
That new Holley Quadrajet Replacement is looking better and better..  (kidding!).
I will get those measurements and we can go from there.
Thank you