Author Topic: RV Q-jet  (Read 1051 times)

Offline falconvan

RV Q-jet
« on: October 31, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »
I recently bought an 88 Chevy C class RV with a blown up 350. I was surprised to find that it has a factory Q-jet and not TBI, and that it's not an electronic Q-jet.

I'm putting together a mild 454 to replace the 350. It's going to be mostly stock with a mild towing cam. The Q-jet on the 350 is really clean so I'd like to use it on the 454. Any changes I need to make to it for the bigger engine? It'll probably live it's life below 4000 rpm; just wanted the big block for the extra torque to move that 11,000lb RV around.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: RV Q-jet
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 04:24:49 AM »
Motorhome carburetors are not the same as other units.  If you contact me at the shop I can put together a rebuild kit with tuning parts so it works on the new 454 engine.  It will need a high flow N/S assembly, HP accl pump, jets, metering rods and PP spring.  I would need the carburetor part number off the drivers side of the carburetor.  Also check side play at the primary shaft, and test the electric choke and choke pull-off (make sure it holds vacuum).......

Offline falconvan

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 01:17:23 PM »
Sounds great, Cliff. I’m doing wood repair on the overhead bunk right now; as soon as I start putting the engine together I’ll get a hold of you.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 02:46:01 AM »
Sounds great...tks