Author Topic: quadrajet on RPM Air Gap with adapter  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Ed Blakeslee

quadrajet on RPM Air Gap with adapter
« on: March 29, 2024, 06:51:43 PM »
I have a zz4 engine with a Quadrajet from Cliff. I am considering a RPM Air gap manifold but will need an adapter. Do you think I might pick up some HP on the top end or will the need for the adapterbe an a regative? I have had the heads ported and added roller rockers.
Thanks fot any input

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
Re: quadrajet on RPM Air Gap with adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 07:19:26 PM »
It is hard to say for sure with out a dyno, but I would be willing to bet it has an affect on it. You could use a 4 hole spacer and cut and grind on it. Opening it up as much as you can, then use a grinder to blend it to the manifold opening.
I did something like that years ago. Some epoxy to seal as well as possible because of the amount of cutting I did, and blended an open center spacer to a single plane intake. By the time I was finished you would have believed it was an original quadrajet single plane.

Or you could sell it and buy a RPM quadrajet manifold.

What are your engine build specs that you need an Eddy RPM? Just a zz4 cam and ported heads? I thought the zz4 came with the GM bow tie quadrajet intake?

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 08:30:54 AM »
The adaptor will cause more trouble than its worth. As Mudsport says that Bowtie
intake is a good one.  An air gap intake is not much better than the bowtie with heat
risers blocked off. They all get hot eventually.

QJ

Offline Ed Blakeslee

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 10:29:23 AM »
Thanks to all for the insight. I'll stay with what I have and try a spacer to see if it makes any difference
Ed

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 02:56:10 PM »
I run a 4 hole adapter on a Vic. Jr. I don't seem to have any problems. Don't drive in the cold though but if there wasn't salt on the roads from Nov. to May I might.
Jim

Offline novadude

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 06:40:39 AM »
I agree that the ZZ4 intake is pretty good, and there is little to be gained per dollar spend to swap to an air-gap.  Don't know if you've ever seen this test?

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/dual-plane-intake-manifold-comparisons/

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 07:48:04 AM »
Stock and ported iron intake flow numbers in one picture and rpm air gap flow in the other. While I agree the rpm looks cool, some work with a grinder and you can have a stock appearance intake flow almost to just as good.