Author Topic: Base plate swap  (Read 142 times)

Offline hugginjugs

Base plate swap
« on: April 22, 2024, 07:36:51 PM »
I have a 1978 Transam with carb number 17058276. It hasnt been used in a few years as I decided to run a Holley Sniper. Part of the reason I chose to go Sniper was because it has a throttle blade that will work with a 200 4R TV cable. The Sniper has let me down for the last time, and I'm switching back. I picked up a parts carb, number 17083253. I has the proper throttle blade for use with a TV cable. It is going to need new bushings, but I would like to verify that this base will work with my original carb before I invest in a bushing kit.
Thank you.
PS I have decided to keep my electric fuel pump and use a regulator. Whats my best choice for a regulator?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Base plate swap
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 08:28:02 PM »
If you only need a different linkage arrangement install the primary shaft from the donor baseplate only and keep the original baseplate with the carburetor.

I'm not sure what's out there for regulators these days.  So much of this stuff comes from off-shore difficult to say what's going to make the grade and what isn't.  For decades I ran a Holley regulator in my fuel system and it was flawless.  At one point I bought a really expensive Mallory regulator and it was a piece of bovine excrement right out of the box and so was the one they replaced it with under warranty.

The swap was done to provide a bypass back to the tank.  I ended up going back to the Holley regulator and making my own bypass......

Offline lightning boy

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 01:36:50 PM »
Robb MC makes a nice one made in USA.

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 05:50:13 PM »
I use this one so far it's been fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13301
Jim