Author Topic: 427 BBC Carb help  (Read 191 times)

Offline dntoearthman

427 BBC Carb help
« on: May 03, 2024, 01:55:23 PM »
New to forum so any good advice is appreciated : I am having trouble getting the carb professionally built in a timely manner if at all.  I do feel  comfortable doing the modifications needed but have no idea where to begin with jet size, metering rods, bypass tubes ect. I did purchase one of Cliffs books.
I do not have the current carb set up on hand but I could pull the carb down and find out.
The  carb is supposed to be a  1979 800 cfm quadrajet
2466 APH
I  purchased from SMI 5  years ago and was  set up for a mostly stock 427.
The new engine build is listed below. Currently It seems to run fine but I do have idle quality issues. This may just be partially due to the cam as it has a very rough idle- it is running on the idle ckt with about 17" vacuum. I run full time vac advance with it  unplugged I have 15 deg initial mech advance. I can pull the vac line going to dist adv the idle speed will stay almost the Same if I plug that port with no vac advance the drops significantly. I can cover the throttle body and will die, the 2 idle adjust screws seam to work as they should.

1968 Corvette 427 BBC
TKX 5 speed trans Close ration 2.87 1st  with .62 5th gear
3.36:1 rear end
Bored .30 Over
Forged small dome pistons
Oval port close chamber heads with small stem valves
1968 Factory 390HP Spread bore dual plane Alum Intake headers Comp roller rockers std.

STR BBC288-... BBC Retro Fit Camshaft
Adv. 288/300
.050" 229/241
LIft 600/570 with 1.7
109 Lobe Sep
(( Bin - 1Q5 ))
Piney Flats 1V4 399.00 399.00T 1
MMS 5374 PAIR#5373 BODYD .842 ROLLD .700 BBC .842D T/B STREET PERF HYD ROLLER Thanks in Advance Mike Hirtzer
931-623-4885
Nashville TN 37221

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: 427 BBC Carb help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 05:45:28 AM »
109 LSA is going to have a "rough" idle.

What is the idle RPM?

How much timing is the vacuum advance adding at idle?

Since the carburetor was supplied by SMI I'd take it apart and see how they set it up.  IFR's, DCR's, MAB size, IAB size, bypass air, jets, metering rods, etc.

Over the years I've had scores of carbs sent here built by SMI with issues and pretty much threw everything they put in it out and started from scratch.

Any pics of the carburetor that you can post?

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 06:33:44 AM »
Is the 17" vac. a typo? 12-13 could be about right maybe.
Jim

Offline dntoearthman

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 08:48:21 AM »
You are correct about Vac its a good 13@Hg-  Well my timing light just went K=PUT 
After ready your post Cliff I'm not so sure about my skill set in doing the modifications necessary and would love to have THIS ONE SET OR OR PURCHASE ONE? Is this something you could help me out with?
Attached pic but you may have wanted others

Offline dntoearthman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 08:53:52 AM »
Also if I pull the full time vac advance off the carb I have to turn the idle adjustment screw in so for to get it to idle it comes off the idle slot.

THX Mike

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 04:14:10 AM »
Anytime you see an engine liking, wanting, or responding well to running a butt-load of timing at idle it simply doesn't have enough compression for the cam being used, or not nearly enough idle fuel for the amount of vacuum being produced, or a little of both. 

A basic "rule of thumb" I use here is to set initial timing around 10-12 degrees, get the carbs idle system up to par for the application, and see how well it will idle, vacuum produced and control with the idle mixture screws without nozzle drip.  If I'm not seeing at least 10-12" vacuum the engine simply has more overlap in the cam that what's it's happy with.  At that point you have options to increase initial timing to save the day, or add more compression, or change the cam for a better choice.

In almost all cases I'll take steps to simply add more timing to make things happy, and may even come in with a little more idle fuel and bypass air to compliment that deal.  It's certainly a LOT easier than going back into the engine again and in almost all cases I'm able to reach an acceptable end result.

I've said it many times on here and other Forums.  Cam companies "push" and cater to the "bling" crowd by grinding cams on tight LSA's.  This provides the end user with that nice "chop" at idle that everyone loves and folks that hear it assume that the engine is now going to run like John Force's Pro Stock engine and make butt-loads more power than a similar build with a wide LSA cam and smooth idle quality. 

Nothing could be further from the truth, but for sure for most of the customer base out there they don't want their new engine to idle like a stock 1987 305 Chevy pick-up truck!

I've actually helped customers with compression ratio increases and cam swaps making HUGE improvements in engine power and vehicle performance and the FIRST comment they make is that "it's idling too smooth"!..........FWIW......