Author Topic: New toy  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
New toy
« on: July 05, 2024, 08:05:51 PM »
1986 Aries 176 Fish and Ski. Has a 1985 115hp Evinrude on it and goes like stink. It tops out at 55ish ( and I van play with the trim to get a few more mph out of it) but it is propped to get there now, and I really don't need to go faster than that with the wife and kid with me.
The oil injection was removed in 86 by the dealer, apparently the original owner didn't trust it. And I have all the paperwork on it from new, as it was originally the wifes grandfather's boat, and her dad bought it from home in the 90s. He gave it to us as he is in his 70s and says it is too much for him, and he prefers his old John boat with a 9.9 on it.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: New toy
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 01:22:31 AM »
Cool, looks like fun!

I have a fuel and oil injected Evinrude on my pontoon boat.  It's a mid-2000 model.  60hp and no issues to date other than I had to replace a seal on the oil tank last summer.....

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
Re: New toy
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 06:02:24 PM »
I wouldn't mind a pontoon boat, but never look a gift horse in the mouth. And it can still be used to pull a tube or skier easily. I also found out that outboards were "re-rated" in the 80s. Originally I guess that all were power head rated and in 85ish they went to propeller hp ratings ( I was 3 at the time so what do I know). But apparently the 115 on this is prop rating, and the year before it was marketed as a 140 because of the rating being at the crank. That explains the get up and go I guess. Either way it is a new thing to play with since I have the carb on the car dialed in and nothing to tinker with at the moment.