Author Topic: Check This Out  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Check This Out
« on: June 09, 2024, 05:27:44 AM »
I had a "walk in" to the shop last week.  The customers freshly "rebuilt" engine wasn't working well.  They wanted me to take a look at the carb and fix what was wrong with it.  I guess the engine "builder" took a stab at it, but wasn't familar with Quadrajets, which is obvious when you take a look at the pictures.....and yes, the filter was installed backwards!......

Offline Pav8427

• Carb lover
Re: Check This Out
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 01:00:52 PM »
With walk ins like that, you are really having a hard time retiring. Must mean the gene pool related to these 'antique' carbs is drying up. Hope a novice like me doesnt ever 'take a stab at it' and end up with results like this one did.

Offline novadude

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 05:15:14 AM »
If that is what he did to the carb, I'd hate to see what the rest of the engine "rebuild" looks like.   :-\

Offline MRSOFTE

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 10:45:08 AM »
Some people just gotta rush rush rush....so sad  :'(

Offline lightning boy

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 12:54:47 PM »
I bet this guy owns a transmission shop too.

Offline qjetsrule

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 07:25:09 AM »
The corrosion on the accelerator pump spring is also a bad sign. I wonder how much junk went through the motor.

Offline joseph lamb

• Garage guy
Re: everybody is a mechanic!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2024, 09:28:20 AM »
Yup , looks like everybody is a mechanic . When I build a Q jet , or a Holley , or a Stromberg , or the much maligned Rochester  bbl BC ,or the Carter Thermoquad ,,  , I start off with a clean bench , a good carb kit , and I tell my customer , it might be done in a week , maybe .
Cliff has found the bad efforts of those Russian carb rebuilders all his days .
Good job Cliff !!!

Offline joseph lamb

• Garage guy
Re: filter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2024, 09:30:03 AM »
and why not install the fuel filter so that it will bring the flow to about zero , like my buddy did on his 1971 500 caddy ??? He said the coil was bad .