Author Topic: Which length Primary Rod for Marine Qjet  (Read 4838 times)

Offline 383QJet

• Garage guy
Which length Primary Rod for Marine Qjet
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »
New to the forum.  I was hoping one of you could straighten me out on primary rods for my marine Qjet.

Over the years, I have accumulated 7 Qjets.   6 begin with "170" and one begins with "70" (made by Carter).  Two have APT and the new style float (long float guide pin).  The other 5 have no APT and the old style float.  The problem is I have a collection of primary rods with and without the "B" stamp.

How do you determine which body uses the "B" rods and which body uses the "non-B" rods.

More specifically, the two bodies I want to rebuild are 17080561 (body number 17060303) and 17082403 (body number 17060303).  Both of these bodies have the old style float with the short float guide pin.

I believe these bodies use the "non-B" Primary rods, but I'm no longer sure.  Thanks for any help.

BTW, these sit on top of a 92 Mercruiser 350 bored and stroked to 383 with a Comp XE262 cam.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Which length Primary Rod for Marine Qjet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:25:06 AM »
The Marine units, and all older carburetors prior to the "mod-quad" design released in 1975 use the longer primary metering rods.

Marine unit in particular have a very generous calibration, as they are NOT subject to emission standards, and Marine engines operate heavily loaded without a vacuum advance on the distributor.

It is NOT recomended to lean them up, or set them up like an automotive application. 

I would set them up with the original parts.

As far as metering rods, there are quite a few different early style metering rods.  The "B" series have a very slight taper to the upper section, and most often used with Old's, Buick and Chevy carburetors that used the early APT system in the baseplate.

Most other early carbs used two step rods, the number stamped on them will indicate the diameter of the upper section, the tips were .026".

They also had metering rods with tapered upper sections for the early carburetors.

Marine carbs should be using the two step rods, but they can be tuned with the "B" series rods if needed.

The most important thing to do for your Marine carb, is upgrade the internal components.

We sell complete kits for them, with upgraded ethanol compatable components, and dozens of parts not found in other kits, that are needed for a complete/correct rebuilding of the carburetor.......Cliff

Offline 383QJet

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the info.  I'll order parts from you.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:03:33 AM »
Thanks.  We've upgraded the accellerator pumps for the Marine carburetors for this new fuel with the modern pump assemblies.

I noticed that some of the aftermarket kits are showing up now with a "blue" seal on the accellerator pumps, so we purchased a tested them.  They "soft" light blue seals swelled up considerably soaking in regular grade pump gas.

It took longer than the black seals, which swell up and fail in about half an hour.

After 3-4 days the "blue" seals were swelled up enough to stick in the bores and bind the pump up.

There is a long thread running on the Corvette Forum about this problem with "blue" seals in over the counter kits.

We've tested our accellerator pumps in E-85 with zero issues anyplace, so they are fine for E-10, which has now made it to the Marina's. 

The Marine industry is pretty much in an up-roar over this, as the ethanol is killing carburetors, and soaking up water in fuel tanks, etc.  We are selling more Marine kits now than ever before, the "rush" started early last summer, so I'm assuming by this time ethanol is in the fuel just about everyplace.....Cliff

Offline makomark

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:40:03 AM »
383:

Cliff's kits are excellent. I've sent many fellow boat owner's to him and everybody has been very happy and continues to share his contact info with others in need of parts or service.

The only "downside" was one guy experienced a delay because he wanted his stuff rebuilt during the 'peak season'. Once he received the reality check, he did some more researching and decided to let Cliff do the work. He was very pleased with the end product and said he'd be one of Cliff's customers for life.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:48:11 AM »
Unfortunately we are months behind on rebuilding carburetors. 

Each unit gets my full attention at every level to make sure it is not only completely and correctly rebuilt, but also works like it's supposed to for the application it's being used on.

I calibrate every unit based on the information provided by the owner, and I test every one for at least 30 minutes on a real engine before it leaves here.

I personally assemble every carburetor built here, to maintain quality control.

We have very few problems with the units we send out.  Unfortunately, I can only build a limited number each year.  With the phone calls and emails I get, plus managing the shop, I'm lucky to get one unit done each day.

I've been asked many times why I don't hire some help and increase production.  That's just not going to happen here.  I'd rather stay small and maintain the quality of the finished product.....Cliff

Offline 383QJet

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
Why do I think MakoMark was that "guy"   ;)