Author Topic: X-Treme energy  (Read 3777 times)

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
X-Treme energy
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Cliff,

I have a cam question.

After reading several threads on here I can see that you are not a fan of the comp X-treme energy grinds. I have a XE grind.

230 intake.   236 exhaust.  110 lobe sep.    .555 inch lift.
454 chevy, "049" oval ports, 10:1 squeeze, Weiand action plus intake, headers, X-pipe, 2500 stall. q-jet.

I have never been happy with the pig-rich exhaust. Carb does not nozzle drip, opened up the idle tubes, bypass, etc.

I am happy with the performance, But the idle stinks bad. I have read on here this is due to the 110 degree sep angle?

I pulled the old Weiand intake this winter and noticed a few of the lobes are showing wear. The cam has been in for 8 years and it's time to go.
Any suggestions on a cam grind?

This combo dyno'd 338 hp @ 5600  & 430tq @ 3400

335~339hp from 4900~5600.

I yanked the old weiand for a edelbrock RPM. I figure 20 yrs of intake technology should be worth something.

And you will be pleased to know the dyno operator was surprised to see the q-jet!! He did say that the A/F looked like fuel injection on the runs. A/F ave was 13.0.
Thanks for any cam suggestions..

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: X-Treme energy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:36:55 AM »
They made a 234/244/114 cam that works really well in the 454's with 10 to 1 compression on pump gas.

It will idle better and make more power everywhere than the XE274 grind.

Summit may have that cam in their own line of cams, it should also be available from Melling, Speed Pro, Sealed Power, etc.

Personally, I'd consider upgrading to a hydraulic roller cam, worth every penny, IMHO.....Cliff

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
Thanks for the info. Summit has a 228/238/114 in thier brand. Lunati has something close as well.

Next time the motor is out It will have a roller. Hopefully will be a 496 as well.

Old cam didn't look terrible, Surprised it looked as good as it did with the oil crap thats been going on.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:45:59 AM »
It's more about the lifter construction than the oils.  The oil got plenty of the blame for failed camshafts.  The actual culprit was "offshore" lifters that were not correctly machined and poor quality materials.

This happened right after Johnson went out of business.  The oil changes at about the same time, so what came first, the "chicken or the egg"?.....Cliff

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:03:52 PM »
Cliff,

I noticed most of the 114 cams are made to work with blowers, nitrous & or marine use. Crane has a 236/246/114 cam "good with supercharger, nitrous etc". Do blown applications need a smoother idle or something? Couldn't find the exact specs you provided. This Crane grind is the closest. Couldn't find anything in the melling catalog. Summit has a 228/238/114. Anyone have experience with a summit cam? They claim they are made here in the states, Wouldn't tell me who makes them though.
Thanks for the advice,
Matt

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:45:38 AM »
Far as I know all the "generic" grinds are from CMC (Camshaft Machine Company).  They are in Michigan, Lansing maybe?

I called them recently inquiring about getting some WG-5059 cams done, but gave up on the idea.

The Summit cams are excellent, look at the first numbers (advertised). 

The big 454 will LOVE a long duration cam on a wide LSA.  I'd look for longer seat to seat timing (advertised duration), up near 290-300 degrees seat to seat.  I use a 292/308 duration cam in my 455 Pontiac engine (hydraulic roller).  It has 11 to 1 compression and makes great power on 89 octane fuel.  No issues anyplace and it's a daily driven car, not a "race car" with mufflers.

We did a 454 back in 2001 at 10 to 1 compression with peanut port heads.  I re-worked the heads with 2.19/1.88" valves in them, and went with a 234/244/112 cam from Crower.  That engine ran for years in a good friends 69 Chevelle.  He drove it everywhere, and raced it just about every week.  It was a solid low 12 second car on DOT tires.

He's upgrading the engine this Winter with a 496 and aluminum heads, and big HR cam on a wide LSA!.....Cliff