Author Topic: FNG...well sort of.  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Goat and Chicken Farmer

• Garage guy
FNG...well sort of.
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:45 AM »
I would like to introduce myself as I will probably be lurking here for some time. My name is Tom, I live in SLC, Utah. I am in the restaurant business with my brother, who is a chef, we have had the restaurant for 15 years. Before that I was a 20 year GM mechanic (and others as well). Master ASE certified and Master Chevrolet certified back in the day (tune up, drivability, comp control diag, heating and a/c and electrical mostly). I have been a Pontiac fan all of my life and have owned 3, 69 firebirds over the years. My step dad has had his 71 GTO since he got out of collage and we are about 2/3rds of the way finished with its restoration. I recently purchased a 69 firebird vert and am excited to start its restoration. In the early and mid 90's I was the only one in the dealership the would touch a carb and I made a-lot of dough re-bushing throttle shafts and re-building. I had thought of myself as somewhat checked out as far as carburetors go and just completed the re-build of dads 7041263 for the GTO about a month ago (using a modern Hygrade kit) The motor, a 400 CI 4 speed had just been finished and we plopped the carb up there and ran in the motor on the motor stand. Everything went well, but I could tell we were lean off idle and getting my hand close to the air horn verified that as rpm increased and motor smoothed out. So be it, we will massage it when we get the car together. Now, motor is in the chassis and body is married to chassis and headed for paint. I thought I would do some research about the carb and maybe ask some questions on the forums, that is where I learned about Cliff’s knowledge and expertise. I am not a rookie on these carbs at all but I am very excited to receive Cliff’s book and re-do dad's 7041263 which, I found out on Cliff's site, is a rare and highly sought after carb! It looks like the carb I have for my 69 firebird 400 is a Carter built Quad #29268 WF, will this be a good carb for the 69 firechicken 400CI, 5 speed manual?
Buffy's Dad

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: FNG...well sort of.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:23:04 AM »
Welcome aboard.  I just finished up a 7041263 carb a couple of days ago.  They are really nice units, but will require some special calibrating to work well, as they lack the outer booster rings.  We have everything required to set them up, without any guesswork as to which parts to use......Cliff

Offline Goat and Chicken Farmer

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »
So Cliff, I ordered your book, hopefully it will come soon! With a strong basic knowledge about Quads and your receipes, I should have no probs setting this carb up, am I correct? This carb has 146000 original miles on it but the primary shaft is still pretty tight. Would you bre-bush it anyway? Another question...If I sent it to you, do you restore the finish on the body and airhorn, and what would be the cost?
Buffy's Dad

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:32:25 AM »
With very few exceptions, we install bushings in all of them.

Strip the main casting and airhorn of metal parts, and we will zinc/chromate them for $45 plus the return shipping.....Cliff