Author Topic: Which Style Rod?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline A. G. Olphart

• Garage guy
Which Style Rod?
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »
Given that long and short primary rods are said not to be interchangeable, which should I use?

Delco bulletin 9C-3115 of July 1978 states that carb # 17057228 came with 53K rods and a 77 jet.  Both a 17057229 and a 1705492 arrived at my place with 'B' rods.

Is the last digit in QJet numbers really significant of anything beyond transmission type?

Perplexed as always,

A. G.   

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: Which Style Rod?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:53:33 AM »
    I would say that the last digit might mean something other than the usual auto/manual trans deal.
However, that being said, I have not found any true comparison using last digit numbers. In other words it seems that carbs with the same numbers varied in relation to each other as far as ros/jets etc. Some are the same setup and some are not. I guess it is a big Rochestor mystery and so far, I have not really heard of anyone that has been able to explain it. Some have some theories but, so far, I have not heard of a 100% factual explination. My best guess is that it had to do with a convenience as far as production goes. Like maybe to differentiate which particular line or factory the parts went to.
     As far as the rods go, who knows. Rebuilders and the like may have changed them. What is important is that you get something that works for you. If you have the "old style" of carb, which gmc and chevy used up until 1978 (I think), it will indee use the older style of rods. So, you can have an old stlye of carb even while the mod quads were available in the first few years. (75-76-77 and maybe 78 {??}).some of the rods were specific to the main airbleed setup in the later carbs (like the 53K with the 77 jet).

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:33:48 AM »
The later style carbs with the APT system in front of the power piston, will use "M", "L", "K" or "P" metering rods.  In most cases, the "M" metering rods (.036" tips) were used in the last design single main airbleed units.

"B" series metering rods were used in the early models, with the APT in the baseplate, they are too long to be used effectively in the later models.....Cliff

Offline A. G. Olphart

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »
Thank you both very much!

Evidently my 1977  carb is an early single main airbleed model, built on a 1969 style body with APT in the baseplate.

"B" series rods it shall be. 

ag