Author Topic: qjet fuel mileage tips?  (Read 3286 times)

Offline LEROYDOZOIS

qjet fuel mileage tips?
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:29 AM »
hello! first post on the new site =]

i got a 454 suburban and it had a 70s qjet. my buddy rebuilt it and it ran perfectly. the truck sat for a few weeks and when i went out too start it up i found that i left the wing nut off the air cleaner and a cat had made home under my hood.the air cleaner was tilted jus enough to have a 1/2 opening   soo only god knows what worked its way into my carb.

soo i took it apart and cleaned everything. i put it back together and my friend watched me encase i messed up. i did everything he said and the next day the truck was running.

out of the blue, 2 days later the truck would not run at all. it would only fire up if i pumped the gas twice and then it only ran for 3-5 seconds while it idled at 1200 rpm, anything below 1000 it instantly died.

soo i took the carb off about 3-4 times since then and kept cleaning and cleaning to no avail. my uncle gave me a Carter 625 and its runs fine with the way i have it tuned. (so theres no vacuum leaks on the motor)

were gonna be driving it more now, and id like to see if i can get the most MPG out of it.

i boiled it a few days ago, checked all the passage ways and such, everything is clean and clear. i think the base gasket from the kit was garbage so i got another one. thinking about putting it on this weekend ad seeing how it will run.

so are there any suggestions on what i can do to get the most mpg from it? any tips are greatly appreciated =]

and btw, my buddy rebuilds qjets in his spare time, hes retired and does them for our local race track and for being eco firendly too =] i have total faith in him as everyone refers him.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: qjet fuel mileage tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
I would recomend installing one of our kits, the parts are superior to the over the counter stuff at every level, and will hold up in this new fuel.  We also upgrade the components for improved performance and reliabilty.

What is the carburetor number that you are using, and how is it calibrated?....Cliff

http://www.cliffshighperformance.dreamhosters.com/carbkits.html