Author Topic: Can't find info on the number on my Q-Jet  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
  • Life is not a practice run
Can't find info on the number on my Q-Jet
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
29231    1769

Believed to come from a 1969 Cadillac 472

It does say Rochester Quadrajet and there is no round ID tag. This is stamped into the side of the carb like all other number locations I've read about, there's just no "7......" like I've heard that most do.

I need a rebuild kit but need to know what to order.  Thanks for any and all help!
Be who you are becasue those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
Re: Can't find info on the number on my Q-Jet
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
Just received your book BTW! Great, and will definately aide me in the rebuild of the above carb, just couldn't "ID" it from any info I've found. Thanks :)
Be who you are becasue those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
29231    1769

Believed to come from a 1969 Cadillac 472

It does say Rochester Quadrajet and there is no round ID tag. This is stamped into the side of the carb like all other number locations I've read about, there's just no "7......" like I've heard that most do.

I need a rebuild kit but need to know what to order.  Thanks for any and all help!

Probably 7029231.

Which is 176th day of 1969 Cadillac 472cid M/T Air Conditioning
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
Thanks, I've heard of just assuming the 70 was left off, but then the issue of the M/T comes up. Cadillacs were all automatics. I want to make sure that I'm getting the correct rebuild kit. I really don't like guessing with money.

Thanks for the reply Ehtan1

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »
Thanks, I've heard of just assuming the 70 was left off, but then the issue of the M/T comes up. Cadillacs were all automatics. I want to make sure that I'm getting the correct rebuild kit. I really don't like guessing with money.

Thanks for the reply Ehtan1

You are correct. Since the last number is an odd number, it would be a manual transmission. I looked in my other manual and it shows '67-'69 Cadillac 429cid and 472cid engines automatic transmission. Maybe someone can shed some light on this? I've seen this before on a nother Qjet. Don't know the reason, but Cliff will have your kit. Can you post a picture of the entire carb? Just to be sure.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »
 Also, if you look on page 16 of Cliff's book, it says that there is "numerous" exceptions to the last number being an automatic or manual transmission. So, maybe Cadillac was one of those exceptions since all were automatics. I don't know. Let's see what Cliff says. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
Thanks again for the help :) I'll post a pic of the carb a little later. It's actually disassembled now but I'll stack the three and do my best:) I'm definately going to buy the kit through here as soon and I know which one to order.

Glad you've seen numbers like this too before. I was thinking I was the unlucky ONE to have something not rebuildable ha ha

Glad we're getting to the bottom of this :)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
Thanks again for the help :) I'll post a pic of the carb a little later. It's actually disassembled now but I'll stack the three and do my best:) I'm definately going to buy the kit through here as soon and I know which one to order.

Glad you've seen numbers like this too before. I was thinking I was the unlucky ONE to have something not rebuildable ha ha

Glad we're getting to the bottom of this :)

Quadrod,
 I also have a Cadillac carb. Number 7028231. Also ends in a odd number. There is other Cadillac carbs I have seen like this. Don't know why. Must be a Cadillac thing. :D

Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
Here are the pics :)

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
And the back...

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
And top views...I'm pretty sure we're looking at a 750cfm. Thick outer ring and no little bump in there.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
 Yeah, it looks like the 7029231.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
And top views...I'm pretty sure we're looking at a 750cfm. Thick outer ring and no little bump in there.

Yeah, probably 750cfm. If no bulge in primaries, probably 750cfm. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Quadrod

• Garage guy
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Nice! OK, so I guess my next step is looking for a kit with the 7029231. Thanks for the help :)